Recording vocals: what're you using?

Most often Bad room > Mediocre source > Shure SM7b > WBS m470a > Symetrix CL-150 > Motu 828 converter/interface.

I usually throw up a pair of 4'x2'x4" rockwool panels like an open book in front of the singer / behind the mic.

Rode NT1000, Rode NT2 (very old prototype version, Rare), Sontronics STC-3X, AKG4000C, Audiotechnica AT3525 (female sometimes), I recently picked up a CAD Tron 8000, which I have used once and it was impressive.

It all depends on the voice, however if I only had one of these it would be the NT1000 as it's the best all rounder.

Alan.

When I posted the above, I should have probably put down what pres I use.

I have a Bellari RP520 that gets used a lot, I have a GE tube in 1 channel and the standard Bellari tube in the other, I pick the channel that sounds best with the mic being used and the singers voice.

I also like recording vocals with a StudioProjects VTB-1, this is a cheap pre that is very very good (I own 4).

I don't tend to use any of my other pre's for vocals, but I do sometimes use the pre's in my Console, which also sound very good, Tascam M3700 (don't believe what others tell you about this console being no good LOL).

Alan.

SM7B - Cloud Lifter - Art MPA Gold - Tascam US-1800

I use to put my Art Pro VLA compressor in the chain, but was over using it, so I'm not using it much.

SM7B - Cloud Lifter - Art MPA Gold - Tascam US-1800

I use to put my Art Pro VLA compressor in the chain, but was over using it, so I'm not using it much.

Just being curious, do you always need the Cloud Lifter with the sm7 or just quiet sources? Thanks

Sorry to interject, but I actually had no issue with SM7b with loud singers with the US-1800. The Tascam had just enough gain to pull it off well. That was a bit different if trying to record a soft singing female tho. It was about that time I purchased a nice 1073 clone that solved that issue.

I never saw the need for the $150 cloud lifter, when that was just $150 less than I had to afford towards a really nice preamp...

Thanks. I just looked at RE20 (have and use) at 1.5mv, the SM7 1.2mv. I just didn't remember coming up lacking here with the RE20. (Chameleon 7602, Mackies etc.

Most used signal chain is GT ViPre> LA2A(or clone of same)> PTHD... The mic choices range from Cathedral Pipes Seville ribbon to first edition U87. I especially like my U67 clone built by Charles Dickinson, my two customized ADK TT Area 51's (ones now a 251 circuit with a C12 cap and the other an M249 circuit with U47 cap) , Bock 195, Shure SM7 (of course!) , a Kel HM-7, and a bunch of others.

Every mic will work for a vocal. The trick is to know which one and when to put it up.

Though I have nicer mics for my own vocals I like my old 80's SM57 .........

The last vocalist I recorded I used a Shure BETA 58A into a Focusrite ISA one and into my Saffire Pro 40. The one before that was with a Shure SM7B into the Pro 40. Both were metal singers.

Last edited:
The last vocalist I recorded I used a Shure BETA 58A into a Focusrite ISA one and into my Saffire Pro 40. The one before that was with a Shure SM7B into the Pro 40. Both were metal singers.
I keep hearing good things about the 58 beta. The benefits of a dynamic, but slightly brighter. May take a chance on one.

Main vocal mic is an AT4050 straight into console (Allen & Heath Qu-32) or thru one of two home built PAIA tube pre amps, which actually sound pretty good, though definitely old school/analog. depending on the voice I have a gt56 groove tubes fet mic that I picked up on clearance for a c-note on a whim and found sounded way better than it's pay grade especially on lower register male vocals.

Main vocal mic is an AT4050 straight into console (Allen & Heath Qu-32) or thru one of two home built PAIA tube pre amps, which actually sound pretty good, though definitely old school/analog. depending on the voice I have a gt56 groove tubes fet mic that I picked up on clearance for a c-note on a whim and found sounded way better than it's pay grade especially on lower register male vocals.
Hi -off topic :>) How do you have your QU set up? Direct as an interface to DAW for example or..?
I'm new to the mixer, only used the 'QU drive, and transferred a few projects to Sonar.
It was fun to do a bit of mixing off the drive. Something I haven't done in years actually :)

Back