Recording violin

whazzup

Newbie here. Thanks for your anticipated help. I've reviewed the FAQ and searched the forum, but I can't find a specific answer to my question.

I want to record my children's music into Garage Band (so I can edit it a little) and I want to keep it in the ~$100 range. I have a violin player and a piano/keyboard player. I would prefer one halfway-decent, all-around mic to start with. I realize there are tradeoffs, and I am beginning to realize that one mic may not do it in the long run. However, until I see how far I go with this, I don't want to spend that much money. I've toyed around with a unidirectional, dynamic Radio Shack $15 special, and have realized that that was a waste of money. For now, I am using an iMic USB device with the 1/8" plug to get the sound into the computer. I expect to upgrade this to an m-audio device if this catches on. I'm not looking for professional sound, here, just a way to memorialize the fits and starts of a couple of budding musicians.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I believe I am looking for a cardioid, small-diaphragm, condenser mic. But what I don't understand, is the power issue. They tallk about phantom power and self-powered. So I think I want a self-powered one (if condenser is right).

Thanks for your help in this endeavor.

The Griffin iMiccan accept line level or mic level input. Then they say that you may need a preamp. So I am not sure. Here is their relevant FAQ. Thanks.

iMic

It sounds like that interface does not deliver phantom power and the preamp is designed for computer mics, not studio mics. You have a few options:

1. Get a dynamic mic - something relatively inexpensive, like the Shure SM57 should be able to plug into that interface, with a cable like this. However, I'm not sure what the sound quality will be running through the iMic.

2. Get a battery powered condenser mic - there are a few condenser microphones that can be powered by batteries (AKG C1000s, & others). Again, I don't know what kind of sound quality you'd get through the iMic, but it should pass sound.

3. Get a USB powered microphone - there are a couple of condenser mics that can be powered by your computer's USB port (Samson C01U, BLUE Snowball). These are relatively new and the jury is still out on their utility and sound quality, so I would be cautious about dropping much $ on them.

4. Get an external preamp (plus either a dynamic or condenser mic) - something like the ART MP, Audio Buddy, or better yet, Studio Projects VTB1 would allow you to connect a dynamic or condenser mic of your choice. The preamp will provide phantom power, amplify the sound, and convert it to line level to run into your computer.

5. Get a different audio interface (plus a dynamic or condenser mic) - there are a few USB and FireWire compatible external audio interfaces for getting music into a computer. These will also supply phantom power through their preamps.

Stereo Mic?

Hi,

I'm a violinist, and can tell you that you won't get a very nice sound with a 57, or a cheap mic placed close. However, you can get a useable sound with a stereo mic - similar to the ones you use with mini discs - especially if you are a little bit away from the source. A lot of these mics will use batteries so no need to worry about phantom power. It looks like the Imic has stereo input, so you can plug it straight in. As it's stereo, you could just get the violinist and pianist to play in a nice room or hall, find a spot that the balance sound good and place/clip the mic there. It will not sound studio quality, but I've recorded jams and gigs with mine straight into a mini disc and it sounds O.K.

Do a web search for mini disc stereo microphone batteries, and prices will range from $50 upwards.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks for the help.

The AKG c1000s is a little out of my price range for now. I saw the Samson @ J&R in NY and almost bought it, but held off. The Snowball looks good for my needs, but is a little pricy. I like the idea of the USB mic, but think it will be limited. I wonder if a decent external mic would serve me well with my camcorder as well, thus limiting the utility of the USB mics.

As to minidisc mics, is this what you mean: ECM-MS907 Are there advantages or disadvantages to a stereo mic? There's also an Audio Technica mic as well that is in my price range.

I would second the suggestion of the stereo mic. The one in the link you posted looks fine.

I have used an inexpensice audio technica stereo mic to mic a piano in a concet hall, straight into a laptop with Cool edit. The results were surprising. For your needs, I wouldn't think you would have to spend much more than the price of the AT mic until you decide you are going to get a bit more serious about recording.

Good luck

The advantages of a stereo mic is that it's... er...well....stereo, and will give you a stereo signal.

The disadvantage is that you will have no real control over each individual channel (ie panning, separate fader movements etc) as you would if you were recording with two separate mics. Again, from what you have posted, it doesn't look like it will be too much of a concern.

Here's another thought: ART Tube MP or Audio Buddy + Behringer ECM8000 or Nady CM100 reference mic. That would keep you under $100 (minus cables & a mic stand). It won't be stereo, but the reference mics are very accurate.

Back