recording tambourine

antispatula

I tried recording a tambourine with my Hamburg (condenser) and it sounded just wrong.....It sounded as if there was a. tambourine b. rocks being chucked at the mic.

I tried using an sm57 and that seemed to help......Anyone know what I'm talking about?

gmiller1122 said:
How close are you to the mic? I find it helps to be several feet away.

I believe you misspelled "states".

I find it helps to be several states away.

:D

You know, I wonder if anybody tried running a tamborine through a distortion pedal? Maybe with a nice flanger and super cathedral reverb on it.

Hmmmmmmmm....

Thanks for the idea!

Yeah you need to play it a fair distance away from the mic. I also like to use an omni small diameter condenser, depending on how good the room sounds. Or I'll use a cardariod small diameter condenser.

I use either mxl 603 or sm57 for tambourine, I play it a bit far from the mic. The source does matter too, what tambourine do you have??.

A difficult instrument to record well. Distance definitely helps. I use either a SD condensor (AT-4051a or AT-4049a) that is relatively flat, or a Sennheiser MD-441. A good orchestral type tambourine helps too - Black Swamp or Ludwig. Your choice of metal "jingles" for sound.

and wear an oven mitt, really helps the take out the whack sound, unless you're into the whacking, then ....never mind

noisedude said:
Big Kenny is my hero
Me too. I had previously written John Mayer off as an adolescent singer-songwriter until Kenny recommended him to me, at which time I found his live blues album which is ace.

AGCurry nailed it right on. Buy a ribbon. The Shiney Box i.e. Nady variety are super for hand percussion. For under $200 you can be in hand Perc heaven.

Back