Recording sound coming only from LEFT speaker! How to fix?

chaoshead

im recording some audio, but when i play it in my media player (foobar in my case), i can only hear sound from 1 speaker! if i play any other music file with foobar, i hear the sound on both speakers. only the recording sound is what i dont hear. also, when i record with audacity, only the left channel bar is moving, as you can see on the attached photo.

HOW do i fix this?

my setup: condenser mic w/xlr-cable attached to a preamp that again is connected to the usb-port. i've also got a piece of headset connected to the preamp. same thing there; i can only hear sound on left side.

i have also checked my balance on the recording tab in my sound settings on my windows pc, and it's all good there.

sucks being a noob at this, so i'd appreciate the pointers!

audacity:
KytEWExo.jpeg

Somehow you have it set up to only play a mono file out of the left side. Is there a balance (pan) control on the player?

It could also be that you are recording a stereo file, with a mono signal, which would naturally play on the left (the right channel of a stereo file would be input 2 on the interface)

You either need to record to a mono file and make the mix a mono file, which should play on both sides in foobar, or you need to record a mono file, pan it center, then make a stereo mix, which will play on both sides.

so there is no way i can make it DEFAULT so it automatically records it so i can hear sound on both speakers?? very troublesome in that case, because i do a lot of onscreen recording through a video program... any suggestions on how i can get it to do that by default??

Hi,
Inputs and outputs are totally separate.
How you record (mono/stereo/1 channel/2 channels) doesn't dictate which speaker you hear the sound from.
Your handling of that recording does.

What you have pictured and circled is correct. A mono audio source connected to the first, or left, input.

From there you need to make sure that your master output device is selected as stereo 1+2, and the the pan control off to the left is set dead centre.
It looks like it is, but the track you created and recorded to should be a 'audio track' from Audicty's options.

aud.png

I just tested this and it works exactly as you want.

Start with a blank session, select your output device as stereo...Whatever it's called
Select your input device and L (mono), or 1 (mono)...

Hit record and audacity will automatically create a mono track with 1/L as the input and will record.
When you play that back it will, by default be set to centre pan playback through your stereo outputs.

I guess maybe the wrong option is selected in that dropdown beside the speaker graphic, to the left of your red circle?

Samplitude Pro X Silver is free and is the only DAW I know of that can take a mono, one channel source and mix it onto both tracks at the recording stage.

Mods! Help! I used to be able to post images as attachments including I am sure .png files?

I have tried several file formats in the last 10 mins and everything is said to be an "unsupported file format".

Dave.

ok, im not 100% following you, steenamaroo..

i tried setting the recording channels in preferences to MONO (1 channel), and NOW i hear my recording on both speakers! but when i put it back to 2 channels, i only hear it on the left speaker, as you can see here:
L2F1UG5q.jpeg

now, i have kept it on mono (1 channel), but as you can see, while im recording, only the LEFT bar is moving... how can i get BOTH bars to move??

here are my audio settings in audacity:
VWhuYTdT.jpeg

i tried setting the recording channels in preferences to MONO (1 channel), and NOW i hear my recording on both speakers! but when i put it back to 2 channels, i only hear it on the left speaker, as you can see here:
Don't put it back to two channels. You are only recording one, so use one. Any time you record one side of a two channel input, you will only get sound from that one side.

Last edited:
In Sam Silver you setup a pair of tracks and then right click on the Record button on Transport.

This gives you lots of options and some are "stereo", "mono", and "mono mix" whereby a single input (mic say) on left OR right is sent to both channels.

WTF can't I any longer attach images?

Dave.

i tried setting the recording channels in preferences to MONO (1 channel), and NOW i hear my recording on both speakers!
Stop there...Job is done. :)
You are trying to take a mono input signal, which is plugged in to channel one/left, and play it out both speakers, so what you've described above is exactly how to do it. :)

Mods! Help! I used to be able to post images as attachments including I am sure .png files?

I have tried several file formats in the last 10 mins and everything is said to be an "unsupported file format".

I've been getting the same thing, Dave, except it's been rejecting JPG and accepting png.
I'll notify admin but it may be little while before I hear anything.

Ah, got it to work now that i stayed with MONO (1 chan) only. thanks for the help, you all. :)

EDIT: also, when you wanna attach an image from an URL, uncheck "retrieve remote..." and it will be added.

Ah, got it to work now that i stayed with MONO (1 chan) only. thanks for the help, you all. :)

EDIT: also, when you wanna attach an image from an URL, uncheck "retrieve remote..." and it will be added.

Where is that checkbox? Can you post an image of it!!

Dave.

Done it!

I ran Ccleaner to scan Registry, seems to have worked but could be pure coincidence?

Dave.

Attachments

• mono sam 3.jpg
    mono sam 3.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 7
Samplitude Pro X Silver is free and is the only DAW I know of that can take a mono, one channel source and mix it onto both tracks at the recording stage. ..snip
Just curious what that would be for? Does it record a mono input to both L and R of a stereo track?

"I was thinking -guessing, maybe just as a utility short cut' for converting mono content to a stereo track? "

Nope! Won't quote the whole line Mix. TODAY!

Anyway, exactly! Don't want a single source in one lug. I have SHEDLOADS of disc space now son is no longer here.

Dave.

Back