Recording problems.

jamie88

Hey.

Right, i have a AKG D3700 S that is probably around 2 years old. Problem is i'm starting to record on a new computer after not using the mic for a few months and in that time we moved house.

What happens is the volume randomly changes as i record, i.e for a few seconds the sound level will be high and then it will drop down to low, then back to high and then to low again.

What does everyone think the problem is?

Could it be the mic is broke, or the jack plug/lead that im using, or even something to do with the PC im using?.

Anyway, i would appreciate some help on this subject.

Thx

Is there any noise in the recording? Or just the level cutting out?

I had both problems before and each time it was the cable. But it could also be the mic too, I don't know.

Well, whatever im recording does come out, but as i said at times the level is just really random.

For instance, i tested it yesterday to see what's happening and i recorded 2 30 second clips of the same song, and held the mic. in the same place through out.

First clip was fine, no problems or atleast none that were easily noticable.

Second was a mess, it was good for 10 seconds, then dipped REALLY low for a few and then back up.

I've tested it again to make sure, and same thing keeps happening.

I just dont know wether it's the mic. or the lead.

One other thing, does anyone know how the hell to take the top (grill) off?

I know when i bought it i read somewhere that it's possible to take off, but i just cannot get the bugger to come off.

Last edited:
Seems like probably a loose connectionat the mic. I have an Oktava that does that and the problem is at the XLR connector on the mic, it doesn't fit quite properly with certain cables. I would expect better from an AKG, but maybe there is a frayed or loose connection inside? Should be a simple fix if you can find it, otherwise the mic would probably cut out entirely.

Ahh good, well i hope that's the case.

Do you think there's any chance it might be the actual computer socket for the mic?.

Volt/Ohm Meter. If you have a studio, you need one of these and a soldering iron. You can check the continuity of cables with one. And with the soldering iron, you can fix the problems you find with the VOM.

Track Rat said:
Volt/Ohm Meter. If you have a studio, you need one of these and a soldering iron. You can check the continuity of cables with one. And with the soldering iron, you can fix the problems you find with the VOM.
In my neck of the woods we call'em DVOM's :p

Analog VOM

Hi,

My VOM has a needle. Oops, showing my age again.

I suspect the cable. Or it could be software misconfiguration. Take your mic somewhere else and test it. If it works great somewhere else it's not the problem.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
Back