Recording on a low budget

StylusEpix

I want to record narration, and my budget of 170$USD is quite limited. I also want to experiment with the recording of various other sounds such as singing and instruments, but the spoken word of males is my main concern.

I won't spend over 200$CDN, even if I know that I could depend on quality equipment for the years to come. The best mike I got now is a Plantronics headset amplified by a sound card. Anything I buy is sure to sound better than that.

I'm going to keep using my sound card as a recorder. I need a preamp, cause the built-in one is laughable. While the Behringer UB802 dual preamp probably sounds as cheap as it is (50$), it's got a built-in mixer and surely will amplify better than my sound card does. The Audio Buddy is twice the price and doesn't even mix anything. Everybody praises the DMP3, but I'd have to get nothing but a 15$ chinese microphone along with it to stay within my budget, so it's probably gonna be the Behringer.

As for the mic(s), I really don't know. From what I've read on this forum, I should wait till I got way more money and get something expensive, but I won't. So I've got around 120$USD left. Ideally, I'd get two mics. The first might be a Behringer XM8500, the 20$ SM58 clone. It hear it's awful, but not as awful as one might think. That gives me hope of it being better than my Plantronics headset. I'll probably have more fun with this piece of junk and another mic than if I had a single mic.

And now for the "main mic" remains 100$. Sure, I want it to sound good with the spoken word: that's my main application. But the more versatile it is, the better. I'll record in a "studio-type" environment, with a mic stand. I think I want a condenser mic. One that would not care too much for having a shitty preamp. If only because it has switchable omni/cardioid cartdriges, the Behringer B-5 calls out to me. That and the fact I can easily get Behringer gear. But from what I understand, it wouldn't be very good for the spoken word. The FAQ of this site says I should get a dynamic mic instead of a condenser one. Then again, I read elsewhere that condensers are great for vocals. So I don't know.

I could do something else; get an SM57 or SM58, since they seem to be so loved and universal. But I hear they sound bad with cheap preamps. Then again, I heard everything sounds bad with cheap preamps. Anyway, if I got one of these, I wouldn't have a condenser mic, so I could get the cheap Behringer C-1, which I hear is a clone of a pretty bad mic, the Samson C01.

Anyhow. I don't know much about mics and preamps and recording, but I'd like to learn - and I'll need some equipement to do that. So, what do you think I should get ?

Thanks

Studio Projects and Tapco by Mackie

grn said:
studio projects b1

I've used the B3 and it sounds good (is good for drum overheads live as well), looking at the website the B1 looks like a B3 without the switchable polar patterns; if it is I'd agree with this recommendation for recording. I see the suggested US price is around US$120 so with a bit of haggling you should get one to fit your budget. Leave the SM58 for live work.

As for the mixer/preamp I'm a bit wary of Behringer after having a heap of problems with a 16-4-2 mixer I bought for Church. Very noisy effects; and its been back twice with faults (intermittent right channel, channel 9 had no mic gain control etc). Just didn't feel as nice as a Mackie. Cheap though!

It might be worthwhile seeing if you can get a wee Tapco (by Mackie) mixer for a similar price. I'm not sure of the US prices, and based on the NZ dealer price of NZ$245 (US$170) their 6306 might blow your budget, but if you can stretch a little bit it might be a better unit. Remember that you will need phantom power to run the Studio Projects mic.

Hope this helps!

Cya
Andrew

I think you could do spoken word with either a cheap condensor or dynamic mic. The MXL 990 ($60 US) + Audio Buddy Preamp ($80 US) + Pop filter ($15 US) would work nicely. The DMP3 is a step up, but at double the cost. Other mic options would be either the Studio Projects B1 or Shure SM57 (both $80-90 US). I've not used the Behringer mics but, from what I've read, there are better options for a similar price. Check e-bay for used deals that might bring you in under budget

For spoken stuff, I think dynamics will work o.k. with cheaper pres, but singing does not sound as good. You will also need cables if you don't already have them. Places like Musicians friend have super cheap mic cables and I think they are on special for like $2.99 right now.

With such a limited budget definitly think about going used gear. if your room sounds OK and your speaker has good mic technique then you can go with a condenser, but I would not recommend the 990. It is not really a LD condenser and has no particularly good qualities to recommend it for vocals. A MXL V67G can be had on ebay for $99 including cable and shockmount. You will need a mic stand if you don't already have one, and then there is the Audiobuddy or a range of single channel preamps from ART or Presonus that could still fit in your budget.

But if your room is not good, or you are just learning aobut mic technique a SM58 is more forgiving.

Behringer vs Yamaha

I think I'm going to buy a Studio Projects B1 mic, after reading about it on the forum. But I've got to choose a mixer now.

I'm hesitating between the cheaper Behringer UB802 and the Yamaha MG10/2. I know that a lot of people have an undying hate for Behringer, and would say Yamaha without thinking... But I want an answer from somebody who has compared the two, and isn't speaking out of hatred for Behringer.

The Yamaha preamps have less gain (+44dB) than the Behringers (+60dB). But does the Yamaha mixer have better preamps than the Behringer does ? And if yes, how much better ?

Apart from the fact that lots of people hate Behringer with a passion for stealing designs from other companies, is there any other reason I should get the much more expensive Yamaha over the Behringer ? I don't need the extra inputs.

Thanks

StylusEpix said:
The Yamaha preamps have less gain (+44dB) than the Behringers (+60dB). But does the Yamaha mixer have better preamps than the Behringer does ? And if yes, how much better ?

Haven't used either one, but I wouldn't worry about the gain with the mic you've picked; its output is plenty hot.

Back