Recording Classical Guitar with NT1a

davecg321

How would folks go about this?

the guitar is going to be tracked separately from vocals and accompanying instruments. even with the mic 10 " away I still get tonnes of muddy bass build up which requires drastic high passing (150hz)

perhaps I'm better off using my RODE M3

.....?:)

Where do you have the mic pointed? I have used the NT1-a on both nylon and steel stringed acoustics and, IIRC, had the best luck getting a good sound out of each with the mic around 12-14" away placed around the 14th fret and slightly angled away from the soundhole. It took some playing around with though and my room was untreated so it may be a completely different scenario for you. Good luck!

^^^What he said.

If you are getting tons of muddy bass build up, I am guessing you are mic'ing the sound hole. Don't do that.

Room acoustics OK? Heres a picture of a setup when I recorded classical guitar, a picture tells a 1000 words. I had the mics more in front than when I record the usual steel string pop Ballard stuff as it seemed to suit the classical sound. The player is almost centre of the room a little towards one end as the acoustics worked well there.

If I remember correctly I did not use the distant ribbon or if I did not much, the close the other mics were blended, I did change the blend depending on which guitar was used as one was bright and one was darker. The mics used were a Rode NT1000, a AGK C4000B and 2 x OpenPlanRecording Fathead ribbons.

Cheers
Alan

mike-pratt-blog-1.jpg

Back