Recording with the AKG D8000M.

Remedial

Ok, so admittedly, I'm pretty new to recording anything live, with most stuff either recorded DI (bass) or I use samples.

So, I'm here trying to record some claves on my newly purchased D8000M and I'm getting a mono signal (which is expected) with the signal almost disappearing when I pan left (unexpected). When I pan right, I do get an increase in signal (nothing too extreme).

Is this the way dynamic mics are supposed to perform or is something wrong with this mic?

Just fyi, I'm recording the clave hits straight on axis with the mic head (90 degrees).

Thanks.

My assumption would be that you recorded to a stereo track but because of how the mic is wired you only got signal on one side of the stereo. Make a mono track in your DAW, copy the audio to that track and I'll bet you get a panable mono signal. It might prompt you to make two mono tracks from stereo, so do that and you will see which side has the good signal. Delete the bad tracks and celebrate.

+1.
Sounds like you're recording to a stereo track with inputs 1+2 or l+r, but the mic is only connected to 2, or r.
Set up a mono track with R or 2 as the input.

Back