Recommendations for new mic and preamp

gbparker

I'm in the market for a new condensor mic and preamp and have a total budget of $300 or less. Most of my recordings lately have just been my voice, my guitar, and a harmonica. I have a baritone voice and a D-28 Martin.

I'd like something with a warm, vintage sound. I'll be going into an iMac so I want something on the front end that won't make the thing sound sterile. I play folk music and most of my influences are from the 1920s-60s. I'm planning to get a tube preamp, but I'm wide open on the mic. I'd like to get one mic to do the vocals, guitar, and harmonica. Something that would be able to pick up everything at once rather than doing 2-3 separate takes would be ideal.

Bonus points for something I could use in live performance.

Well if you want to use live and recording then I would tend to a dynamic microphone. It will generally hold up a bit better.

I would recommend an EV Raven or Peavey PVM520(I or TN) for the microphone. Each can be had from YouTube in the $100 range.

If you want the condensor, then the EV Cardinal or Audio Technica AT2035.

For the preamp, I assume you want it to act as an interface to your iMac., so something with USB output. So possibly the ART USB Dual Tube Pre.

That should fit into your budget.

Back