A recommendation for a sdc matched pair

MidoBan

Hi, i wanna get a sdc matched pair mics for recording acoustic guitar. my budget is 500$.
until now i managed to read some stuff on these mics:

Studio Projects C4
sE Electronics SE1A
Oktava MK-012-01

what do you recommend from those, or maybe you prefer some other mics for my budget?

For acoustic? I'd probably go with a mic that has omni capsules. For example, if you go with the MK-012, be sure to get the three-capsule version, not the cardioid-only version. As for me, I love the 012 mics for overheads, but I don't have their omni capsules, so I've never tried them on acoustic. Thus, I can't recommend for or against them.

For acoustic? I'd probably go with a mic that has omni capsules.

This only works in a space that has really nice natural acoustics. I did a classical guitarist in in old church once and the omnis worked great--but I'd be less enthusiastic in a typical bedroom studio.

Frankly, I quite like the SE1A and have used them on acoustic guitar (with very nice results) on a number of occasions.

Bob

I'd have to go with the Oktava mk-012's - imo they just love acoustic guitar, with cardioid or omni caps. Later you can get them modded to make them up there with Neumann km84's and you can also get an LDC cap from Oktavamod that is really sweet. Can't fail for the price. Had an se2a (basically an improved se1a) and although it was ok, it suffered from a brittle top end I didn't like. As always ymmv :)

MidoBan,

A pair of Audio Technica Pro 37s is half your budget. They do great on acoustic guitar.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

MK-012
NT-5
STO-2
NT-4 (although one stereo mic, not two individual ones)
KSM141 / KSM137 / KSM109 (not sure of the price points though)

Should be mostly in your price range for mics. In no particular order.

Depending on what you need. Fat Head II's might fall into that range. And other oddities.

Back