Realistic Microphones

bryanparkin said:
Hi

I know the realistic mic is good quality as I picked the best one they had in the shop. The salesman assured me I would get good rap vocals with it. I just cant understand why it doesn't sound as good as Puff Daddy. I am using the best quality creative labs soundcard and speakers as well.

I am confused as how having two monitors will help the sound?

The phantom power does nothing to the sound, it seems pointless.

Bryan

Ach. Joke. Kay.

Cyrokk said:
First of all, don't listen to all these guys who diss you. They are just bitter because they spent a lot of time and money on expensive equipment before companies like Radio Shack started making equipment equal to or exceeding that which is found in pro studios.

Realistic mics are excellent for recording, and the reason you are getting a muffled sound is not because of the mic itself, but how you are positioning it in front of your face. What the pros DON'T tell you is that because of its unique frequency characteristics, you have to hold it to your nose, and NOT your mouth.

Once you do this, you will get a much better sound, but it still won't be studio quality. That's because the difference in what you track and what you hear on a professional recording is always done in the mixing stage. And you are in luck: Realistic makes some GREAT equalizers. Just get a stereo Y cable, plug one end into your stereo line-out of your pc and into your equalizer. The output of your equalizer (using a similar cable) goes into the mic input of your soundblaster (or whatever your soundcard is. Soundblaster is the soundcard pros use, but if you have something cheaper, hopefully it will be as good).

Boost the highs where necessary, and don't forget to use the "stereo expander" on the unit to separate your mix as hard left and right as possible.

You forgot the part about the windscreen.

lo beam said:
However, all Radio Shack mics are not made alike. I call to witness the mighty PZM, which is easily as good a beast as its' Crown rival costing several times as much.

Hey, I've got one of those.

damn you.

cyrok exposed us..

us professionals really don't use high end mics.

i use a labtech computer mic. actually, i use two.

i find that shoving one up the singers ass and inserting the other one completely in the mouth can achieve perfect recordings, thru a standard stock PC soundcard.

no mixing required at all.

... and occasionally i shove it up my own ass for kicks and giggles while recording acoustic guitar.

what! stop staring!!

:D :D

Hi

Well I am a bit confused about all your responses, It seems that the answer is not obvious. I have found through experementing that going into the speaker icon on the windows tasks bar, clicking options/advanced, then clicking the advanced button and turning the treble up to maximum makes the sound much clearer. But when I burn to CD and listen on another system the same muffled sound is back again. I really don't understand??

Bryan

bryanparkin said:
Hi

Well I am a bit confused about all your responses, It seems that the answer is not obvious. I have found through experementing that going into the speaker icon on the windows tasks bar, clicking options/advanced, then clicking the advanced button and turning the treble up to maximum makes the sound much clearer. But when I burn to CD and listen on another system the same muffled sound is back again. I really don't understand??

Bryan

In case this actually isn't a joke, you need to do a lot more than this. As in, spend money on a decent mic, an interface of sorts, whatever. Software. And learn. A lot.
Kthx...bye.
-Zac

Realisstic...maybe

sometimes the Radio Shack “Realistic” mikes are diamonds and at other times ....well....for vocal work ....unidirectional.....also...impedance mismatch can make you sound like a hissing snake with too much high end sibilance or “bass mud” you no matter what you do without a responsive EQ/mixer…..patience and experimentation……before you start just throwing money at the problem.....helped build two radio stations....fixed many a "talent abused" tool and "spun bad records and told worse jokes" for a long time...as well as taught broadcast electronics and board technique…..you can make magic with inexpensive gear...but not true cheap "home karaoke for the pre-pubescent that works on batteries quality equipment....good luck

sometimes the Radio Shack “Realistic” mikes are diamonds and at other times ....well....for vocal work ....unidirectional.....also...impedance mismatch can make you sound like a hissing snake with too much high end sibilance or “bass mud” you no matter what you do without a responsive EQ/mixer…..patience and experimentation……before you start just throwing money at the problem.....helped build two radio stations....fixed many a "talent abused" tool and "spun bad records and told worse jokes" for a long time...as well as taught broadcast electronics and board technique…..you can make magic with inexpensive gear...but not true cheap "home karaoke for the pre-pubescent that works on batteries quality equipment....good luck

Apt profile name you chose. This thread was 8 years dead .....

Back