Re20 vs md441

I mainly use my mics for video game commentaries or just general talking. i keep thinking in the back of my mind ill use it for music even though i cant sing and have no idea how to or how to get my mind around it but i guess that doesnt stop you from still being able to make music to an extent... But anyway, i'm getting a little bit tired of buying mics. Right now I have a RE27 and a ND767a. I have used a few crappy muddy mics like the sm57, sm58, and a few condensers like the at2020 and at2035 before going back to dynamics simply because my room is a little too noisy... i know fix the problem blah blah blah. i dont even have a door on my room. i just simply cant be turning off the air conditioner, muffling my computer, trying to make sure the rest of the house is silent, etc. I need it to work when im in the mood to do it.

So liek I said right now I got a RE27 and a ND767a. I have seen comparisons of the RE27 and RE20 and I gotta say even though I **THINK*** I wans uber crisp condenser sound I thought the RE20 was performing better. I will have it by the end of next week probably to compare. This also had me realize that if I sold mboth REs I could easily get a md441. I heard the md441 is bad for moving around because off axis affects its sound as well as proximity. But I've read a lot about all the mics out there like the sm7b too and it seems that although theres a lot of people who like all these diff mics i see a lot of people time and time again saying the re20 is no joke in comparison to any of them while others have plenty to say bad about the 441, sm7b, 421, re27 etc when it comes to overall sound, proximity effect, off axis, etc.

mics like the sm57, sm58,

441, sm7b, 421, re27 etc

RE27 and a ND767a.

Are ALL fantastic dynamic mics. Any one of them should work perfectly for voice work.
The difference between them is preference and fine tuning.

if I sold both REs I
would still have a noisy room.
I appreciate what you're saying, It's not as simple as that, but fixing it's the only answer.

Address the problem. If you can't move stuff, isolate stuff in other ways. Treat your room, use gobos, etc.
Maybe try a reflection filter, or make one?
It's not ideal, but it's on the right road.

my room is a little too noisy... i know fix the problem blah blah blah.

This reads like "Don't tell me the truth. Tell me what I want to hear."
It's also a little disrespectful, but I see where you're coming from.

The truth is, any isolation you can get through tailoring your mic choice is going to give a fraction of the result you'd get from addressing the issue.

Beyond that, the mic that picks up less noise (in relation to your voice) is the one you're closest to.
Have you experimented with this?

Last edited:
Back