Re-11 Mic

Nola

Can someone tell me if an RE-11 mic (it's from 1987) would be a good alternative to a SM57 for micing a guitar cab? I already have a re-11 and really don't want to buy a SM57. The RE-11s naturally have no proximity effect. IMO they sound great and similar to a 57 but with more "character", but I never mic'd an amp with one b/c i don't own an amp but plan to buy one soon.

I'm just trying to budget and wondering if i'd have to buy a new dynamic mic to record an amp or if i can use my re-11 with good results.

Thanks

Why not just try it if you already own it? I am always trying different mics on different things, nice surprises.

Alan.

No reason you can't use it anywhere that you'd use a 57.
I wouldn't really compare the two, though. I recently A/Bd 57 + re11 on snare and the difference was pretty pronounced.
The re11 was a a lot brighter and sounded a lot more attacking in that job. It also isolated the hi hat better, which is actually why I tried it out in the first place.

It's super-cardioid IIRC.

Why not just try it if you already own it? I am always trying different mics on different things, nice surprises.

Alan.

Like I mentioned, I don't own the amp yet, so I can't try it, but I'm just wondering if I need to budget for a sm57, too, or if a RE-11 will work well on an amp.

Thanks Steenamaroo. How did it sound on the snare?
Have you ever tried it on an amp, and if so, how did it sound?
Do you think the Re-11 having no proximity effect is a good or bad thing for miking a small amp?

Like I mentioned, I don't own the amp yet, so I can't try it, but I'm just wondering if I need to budget for a sm57, too, or if a RE-11 will work well on an amp.

Thanks Steenamaroo. How did it sound on the snare?
Have you ever tried it on an amp, and if so, how did it sound?
Do you think the Re-11 having no proximity effect is a good or bad thing for miking a small amp?

Hi,
I liked it a lot. I was having two issues. The snare was sounding a little dull to me and the hi hat bleed was a bit much.
We changed out the hats to something lighter and switched to the re-11 which was definitely brighter in a good way and definitely helped with hat bleed too.

I've never really used it on a guitar cab so I can give you an answer there, but it's easy to find out! ;)
Whether the proximity effect thing matters to you or not depends on a lot. Microphone position, distance, and the sound of the amp you're miking.

Back