Rap Vocals??

Manuwack

I'm trying to build a home studio to record rap vocals..jus interested in people's opions before i decide to buy a mic..my budget is around $600..i was lookin at the sure ksm32 i think it is..but anywayz..any help would be appreciated..thanx

Manuwack said:
my budget is around $600..i was lookin at the sure ksm32 i think it is..but anywayz..any help would be appreciated..thanx

ksm-32's a good choice .. ksm-44 is even nicer .. specially on vocals .. good for rap most of the time ..

Shure KSM 32 is $500. Your trying to build a "studio" for $600? What about your pre? Cables? Soundcard? Stands, Pop Filters, etc?

Manuwack I remember you from hiphopemcees.com, I think that was the site. I was supposed to battle you in the 3rd or 4th round but you no-showed, you little poop stain.

Me myself I like the Rode NTK tube mic for rap vocals..... and yeah what kind of pre's do you have?

For $600, find yourself a used AKG 414b uls and call it a day. Or if you're looking to buy new buy an Audio Technica 40 series mic. I'm not sure how much the AT4050 is going for... probably in that price range.

Mics

I'd go with:

BLUE Baby bottle or AKG C414. Get a mic sock from Shadio-Rack for $2.99 if you're broke by that point. I've made OK pop filters out of macrame' circles and nylons.

You do need a decent preamp, though. You could always go with the Studio Projects C3 and spend the rest of the moolah on the preamp...

What voice do you have? I had a rapper in the studio that sounded good ONLY through a Shure SM57. Another guy only sounded good through a Shure MX/391 boundary mic on top of a pillow. Wierd.

Rumor has it that the Beastie Boys used cheap mics from KMART in the studio half of the time... If you really listen you can see how that might be true. Then again, they were probably singing through Neve/Avalon/Grace/UA preamps costing $1000 per channel.

...I produce Dancehall Reggae (think Sean Paul / Beenie Man) which is very similar to rap...I get great results with the Rode NTK...either the Joe Meek 3Q or the Studio Projects VTB1 would give you very decent service as an affordable mic pre (I prefer the Meek which has EQ & Compression)...you could get the NTK and the Meek for just about $600...that's IMHO

malcolm123 said:
MXL V67g
SP VTB-1
Pop Filter

use the rest of the $ for all the other stuff you may need.

Malcolm

V67G for rap vocals? Wow.. I've got one and that's the last application I'd consider for it. The rather pronounced proximity effect would be kinda nice though, come to think of it. Do you have any sound clips or anything? I'd still prefer a darker mic though.

V67 is good on certain rap vocals.

I own the MXL V67 and have recorded alot of rap vocals with it. I your voice is light and smooth this mic is good. So a voice like Snoop would sound pretty decent. This mic also sounds good used on younger kids who rap. If your voice is deep it can sound ok too? If your voice is like mine, kinda based more in the mid range like Mase for example then this may not be the best. Even with that a good room, mic placement and nice preamp can make some improvements in the sound.

rap mic

There's a lot guy's around here use a Ocktva MK-319 with good results, it is a dark mic with some really good results as far as rap vocals goes.

Lanny Cox said:
V67G for rap vocals? Wow.. I've got one and that's the last application I'd consider for it. The rather pronounced proximity effect would be kinda nice though, come to think of it. Do you have any sound clips or anything? I'd still prefer a darker mic though.

It has worked well for most of the rappers I have used it for. It also worked a lot better than the SP B-1. I have mostly used it on smoother type of vox. I haven't tried it on loud rappers though.

I dont really have any sound clips on it because most of the serious work that I done using the V67 I ended up redoing with a V69me.

Malcolm

I am using a Red5Audio RV10 with Studio Projects VTB1 preamp to record my rapping friend. It sounds very good and isn't too costly. £250 for both

scarboro78 said:
Or if you're looking to buy new buy an Audio Technica 40 series mic. I'm not sure how much the AT4050 is going for... probably in that price range.

An AT4050 on EBay goes for about $399

Back