Rap Vocals??

Isnt it the style of vocal characteristic which determines mic selection? I didnt know mic's were sorted by "Genre" now... :)

Snoop cant Rap, but what do I know, I think it's all garbage anyhow :)

The reason Rap is so big is because you can write, record and press an album within a week. Seriously. The label hires two dudes who come up with a cheesy name like Tha Profit Cousinz and they make 10 or so beat tracks that are just different enough that your average idiot won't notice they're basically the same. This takes about a day or two. Then they get some suburban kid who is tired of being beat up, give him some Jordans and an Iverson jersey (because AI is hard!) have him say some rhymes over the beats and then, they call up the best selling product from the week before to "guest" on some of their tracks and BAM! album done. This takes 1 day to do. So, we're 3 days in.

Day 4: Mixing and mastering
Day 5: Ship to plant...the label doesn't need to preview it, they know what they're getting.
Day 6: Pressing!
Day 7: Promotion begins while album ages in warehouse. Maybe the dude will have a guest role in a movie or TV show the parent company owns.

That's how it works.

BigHighLonesome said:
Isnt it the style of vocal characteristic which determines mic selection? I didnt know mic's were sorted by "Genre" now... :)

I've been scratching my head over this one, too.

I got some great suggestions on mic stands for a particular music genre a while back.

There are even processors that can be good for a specific music genre.

Really, anything could, in theory be broken down in to what style of music it fits bests. You just have to have a vivid enough imagination, along with equal parts gullibility. Add in a dash of wishful thinking, and there you go!

timboZ said:
Snoop using a V67g

lol@breaking out the soul plane pic

snoop doesnt use a v67g....thats a prop..they probably only used that for the movie because it looks bright colored and noticeable.

any outher mic wouldnt fit the "soul plane" look.

But whatup Manuwack

wargasms said:
lol@breaking out the soul plane pic

snoop doesnt use a v67g....thats a prop..they probably only used that for the movie because it looks bright colored and noticeable.

any outher mic wouldnt fit the "soul plane" look.

But whatup Manuwack

Yeah, but they did break out the $50 Stedman pop screen to go with that $99 mic. :D

Apex 460 wrecks mics

Shit for 230 dollars the Apex 460 is easily just as good as most 1000.00 mics, you also need a good pre amp which comes with it also get a interface not sound card get like a M Audio 410 fire wire

Okatava Mk-319 - Dark Mic
Shure KSM27 - Bright Mic
Shure SM-57 - For those screamers....

I've used all on rap vocals with great results.

Back