Radio Shack SM58 by Shure?

stratosaurus

What does this actually mean? Are they assembled by Shure, use Shure parts..or what?
Playing live, I use 2 amps & I have used a RS58 for years on the SS amp & it seems to soften the harshness of the amp & I actually prefer it to the Shure SM58....but the RS SM58 has the Shure name on it & I've always wondered why they had the name Shure on them & if Shure actually built the mics or what.

Yes, Shure actually built those mics. Almost all, if not all R/S mics are re-labled versions of other people's microphones. As seen in another thread, Sony also sold some microphones for re-labeling both to TEAC and R/S. The same goes for R/S headphones, most of which (last time I looked, anyway) were Koss models in R/S clothing.

Do they all use the same quality of parts and construction? On construction I'd say yes, because it would be a lot more expensive for Shure or Sony or Koss or any other OEM to maintian a seperate production line just for re-labled products. Far easier and cheaper just to use the same production line with different labels/covers thrown in the parts bins.

On parts I'd say, probably the same quality in most cases, but I would not be suprised if there were sometimes agreements where the OEM saves the highest tolerance/quality parts for their own products, and have an agreement that they can use wider tolerances in the parts selection for the re-labled products.

Which is the case for your 58s? Probably Only R/S and Shure know for sure. ;)

G.

Back