r77 mod sm7b or cad e100s for soft voice

i have three choices

i need a new vocal mic

just all around vocal mic, form a to z

my choices are:

1. mod my r77 that i already have

2. get a sm7b

3. or get a cad e100s

now with the r77 that i already have, i think it sounds alright but im pretty sure a mod would make it sound better, i am using a fethead booster to use it with my onboard phantom power, so i could mod the r77 and maybe or maybe not get a better preamp

with the smm7b, i know it sounds good on vocals already, but i would definetly probably get a new preamp for that too since i know it needs lots of gain, or maybe the fethead would be enough?

or the cad e100s, which i particularly like because of how quiet it is, which i really am leaning towards because my singer sings very soft

since my singer has a soft voice, i'll obviously be needing tons of gain, so i need something that i can crank up without being noisy

pretty much i need the cleanest recording i can get

but im not sure which route i should take

any feedback?

SM7b or look into an EV RE20 but like you said *new preamp*

Suggestions ..... Golden Age PRE-73 MK2 or Chameleon Labs 7720 ..... look HERE. These guys can even mod these preamps but they are great stock!

Personally, I've found that the SM7b doesn't work terribly well for soft voices if they're not of the "broadcaster" voice type.

I don't know what it is, but mine seemed to put a veil on my voice when I was singing soft. I eventually sold it *gasp! at a profit *WEEEEE! Also, when you think about it, I don't even really think that 60dB is quite enough. You really need a monster of a pre to drive that sucker. Never occurred to me that I should get one of those Cloudlifter thingies.

Also, I have heard that the E100S is fantastic, but imparts a bit of a vintage vibe. Might be why these microphones are lined up at all. I would assume that the E100S is still more "modern" (aka sterile for better or worse) sounding than the ribbon, haha.

Back