quick mic shoot-out sm57 pl6 e609

giraffe

i love negative rep
i like the shoot out threads so much i decided to do one. :D

the deal
(git) charvell on humbucker, boss metal zone pedal, fender 212R (amp)
all three mics are in didimax LT pre's (the only thing i have three of)

position
i was VERY careful about position
all mics are 1" away from mesh (phaze is actually within a few ms, happy accident)

sm57- L speaker 1 1/2" L of cone, 1" above center
e609 silver- L speaker 1 1/2" R of cone, 1" above center
ev pl6- R speaker 1 1/2" L of cone, 1" above center
amp is stock and in good condition, both speakers sound the same.

link (files are labeled)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/cardboardbombshelter_music.htm
files are short but good quality (128kbps mono, equivelent of 256 stereo)

have fun.

my own 2 cents

well, here's what i think anyway.

pl6- most charcter, probably not always wat you want though
609- kinda thin and brittle, likes the palm muteing though.
sm57- the most neutral sound.

hell, i thought this would be a hit with the kids, everyone's always kicking tthe

e609 or sm57 on distorted git???

question.
oh well......

2 my ears
pl6- sound the best ,however i don't know the sound of your amp
sm57- it's ok , but that's it
609- ear pearcing

Remco

what's that ringing in the background?

since I prefer more scooping than a 57 will give, I like the 57 the least. Actually I thought the 57 sounded awful... I really didn't like any of them, but since this is a shootout then my preference is in this order

pl6

Wow, I was ready to like the 609 over the sm57 (no preconceptions about the EV), but I really think I like the sm57 out of all of them(!), it just seems a bit more intimate with the cone, especially on the muted parts, where it has a bit more resonance, movement. The others sound 'bigger,' but 'from a slight more distance.'. The EV gets 2nd place, e609 third (just sounds a bit characterless in comparison).

In a mix, the nominations could well change though, as we are all aware.

Thanks for this, very enlightening. And nice sample quality; really demonstrates the differences.

sm57 - Best with this clip, doesn't have that nice warm PL6 sound, but who wants that for metal?

PL6 - decent on this clip, but not as good as the 57. I'm sure the PL6 would be my favorite if you made rock or country clips, or anything besides metal.

e609 - no balls, no pleasant tone

57, pl6, 609 for me. the guitar track alone anyway. i might change my mind hearing it in a mix.

sonixx.........that ringing sound comes from the guitar. it can be deadened by putting a piece of soft foam between the tremolo block and body and a piece under the strings between the tuning keys and nut if the first piece does'nt kill it all. i used to do this when I played metal way back in the day.......i think i read in a guitar mag that dimebagg did this. it works well.

TravisinFlorida said:
sonixx.........that ringing sound comes from the guitar. it can be deadened by putting a piece of soft foam between the tremolo block and body...
I have foam on my tremolo springs... I had forgotten about this problem... I've found no need for any on the tuning head

Last edited:
One of the things that I've noticed with my e609 is that put straight on, it sounds like this clip. Putting it at a 30-45 degree angle near the rim of the speaker gives a much better tone (as I'm sure the other mics will also produce another tone).

I tried this after looking at the polar pattern and wanting to remove the air frequencies. I'm currently messing around with using the e609 and MXL 991 combined with some very positive results (for me anyway). Once I have this combo nailed down, I'll post some clips.

robin watson said:
(A) but I really think I like the sm57 out of all of them(!), it just seems a bit more intimate with the cone, especially on the muted parts, where it has a bit more resonance, movement.

(B)In a mix, the nominations could well change though, as we are all aware.

(A) DAM, good ear, the 57 is the most dynamic of the tracks if only by a little, and it shows most on the muted part.

(B) true, true, true.

gonna bump this up cause these samples got 85 independant hits and almost 200 plays yesterday, so even if noones responding that much, people seem intrested.

Back