Questions about Condensors

teetopkram

Greetings - after reading through many, many posts here and through the FAQs, I have concluded that I need to get a LDC for my first ever mike and foray into home-based computer recording. I will need something that puts some balls and life into my otherwise hollow and character-less voice (maybe that's just the Labtec computer mike I am used to!!).

I want to spend about $100 as this is my first toe in the water, and it seems the two most popular choices I need to try are the MXL v67g and Studio Projects B1. As this is my first and only mike for a while I will need to use it for vocals, recording acoustic, and everyday playing/practicing when not recording. I plan on keeping mainly in my home office where I do recording and not transporting it often. I can demo the Marshall but not the SP as no one around here carries as far as I know (Tampa). Anyway...a couple of questions..

It seems the condensors are less rugged/more sensitive to physical damage than dynamics built for stage work (e.g., SM58).

- Does this mean they require more care and maintenance?
- Are they built for everyday use even when not recording (e.g., just practicing through a PA solo or with a band)?
- Are there other issues than these two questions I need to consider in owning, using, and maintaining a LDC as a newbie to all of this? In other words, would a dynamic such as SM57 or SM58, even though most agree is only "fair" on recorded vocals, a better way to get started into recording and singing?

thanks for all your help.

Mark

They don't need extra special care, but you can't abuse them like you can with a 58. If you keep it on a stand, then keep it covered when not in use, and make sure not to knock the stand over! You can use them with a PA, but they can be touchy with feedback, and you PA board will need to supply phantom power.

teetopkram... little computer mics suck, so it wont be hard to find a better mic. Also, LDC mics do require more care than dynamic mics... plus LDC mics need phantom power. Since your just starting out... if I was you... I'd audition some dynamic mics first, and if I found one I liked, I'd buy it. For a $100 you can get a pretty good dynamic mic... whereas $100 would only get you a cheap budget type LDC mic. Also if you don't have an isolating booth you wont have as many problems with unwanted noise (computer fan, cars driving by, etc) with a dynamic mic as you would with a LDC.

Last edited:
teetopkram said:
I want to spend about $100 as this is my first toe in the water, and it seems the two most popular choices I need to try are the MXL v67g and Studio Projects B1. As this is my first and only mike for a while I will need to use it for vocals, recording acoustic, and everyday playing/practicing when not recording. I plan on keeping mainly in my home office where I do recording and not transporting it often. I can demo the Marshall but not the SP as no one around here carries as far as I know (Tampa). Anyway...a couple of questions..

It seems the condensors are less rugged/more sensitive to physical damage than dynamics built for stage work (e.g., SM58).

- Does this mean they require more care and maintenance?
- Are they built for everyday use even when not recording (e.g., just practicing through a PA solo or with a band)?
- Are there other issues than these two questions I need to consider in owning, using, and maintaining a LDC as a newbie to all of this? In other words, would a dynamic such as SM57 or SM58, even though most agree is only "fair" on recorded vocals, a better way to get started into recording and singing?

thanks for all your help.

Mark

I bought a pair of B-1's as my first foray into condensors, and I have been happy with them. They are pretty rugged; although I certainly do not recommend this sort of treatment, from a combination of my own bone-headedness and the clumsiness of a friend, they both got dropped head-down onto a wood floor from an an altitude of about six feet and they still work fine (though the frames are a little skewed).

I have used them for a lot of things, and the only application that they did not work well for was close mic'ing a fairly loud guitar amp. I've seen them available on line for about $79, so the price is right.

Cheers,

In addition to what they said, a LDC condensor is also more prone to "popping" from "p's" in speech/singing. You will probably also need a windscreen, which will run about 20 bucks, or you can make your own by streching pantyhose over a coathanger frame.

Back