A question for live recording

treblemaker

Would setting up 2 Behringer B-2 Pro Condenser mikes in front of a band be able to capture it 'Live' and sound decent?

treblemaker said:
Would setting up 2 Behringer B-2 Pro Condenser mikes in front of a band be able to capture it 'Live' and sound decent?

Depends on the band, style of music, and the room. And most of all, it depends on your definition of "decent". The louder the band, the denser the music, the more reflective the room, and the more ambient noise, the worse the recording will sound with this method. It might be fine for a reference recording used to evaluate a performance, but it might not sound like a good "live" commercial CD.

It would be useful to have spot mics on each instrument and vocalist recorded to seperate tracks that you can blend in with the room mics. In some cases, like electric bass (if there is one) a DI instead of a spot mic would be just as good (or sometimes even better). You even reamp it later, if necessary. On drums you might want two or three spot mics (at least Kick and Overhead, and maybe snare).

i think it would sound ok. maybe. it depends on many things, the usual, acoustics, placement, pre amps, recording medium, quality of the instruments, ability of the musicians.

Well this is how classical music is most often recorded. The group has to be really well rehearsed and self balancing. You need a good sounding room. The quality of the mic's and pre's are critical also. Inexpensive mic's that might sound good for close-up placement might not sound so good when you pull them back a few feet or more. That's one of the big differences I've heard in mic's in different price ranges. I think a lot of the difference is in the mic's off-axis response quality - since so much of the sound in stereo recording is coming from directions other than directly in front of the mic.

Tim

Last edited:
TragikRemix said:
hey bigdickhead, i must have reported your posts 8 times now. why are you still here?
Christ ya little girl, atleast littledog bites back...you just run for the comfort of mommy's leg. Maybe I'm still here because I speak the truth. I'm here because the mods are tired of your whining.

i have a weird feeling that your related to me in some way or another, your attitude is much like most of my relatives.

hey im a kinda quiet guy, i don't complain much in the non virtual world. a guy's gotta bitch somewhere...

how many women does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

none, they'l just bitch in the dark...

Back