Question on care of a mic

Dog

Hello guys/gals

This is my first post here. I have be recording for a bout 3 yrs. I recently purchased a C1 which is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!! I also have a CAD E100.

My question is this. Does it hurt the diapharms on your mics if you leave them out set up to record? Should they be covered? Put back in their cases? Is dust a factor?

Althouhg it doesn't take long to put them back on the stands I love to run in and record when the feeling hits me or if I only have a few minutes etc.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Humidity/moisture can kill a condenser faster than you can get a pop filter in front of a spitting vocalist....

Bet thing to do is put them away in their cases after each use, along with a silica gel packet if you have high humidity in the area.

Bruce

Thought I'd paste this tip here...

This tip was mentioned (in concept) by Gordone, then reiterated by Alan (Mr. Studio Projects) Hyatt on another thread. I thought it would be useful to add to this thread:

Anytime you plug a (phantom powered condenser) mic in, the levels should be turned all the way down, then turn the phantom on, wait about 30 to 45 seconds, then bring up your levels. When shutting down, or changing mics, lower the levels, turn off the phantom power, wait about 1 to 2 minutes to let the caps discharge, then disconnect.

Queue

(I keep my C1 in the case to save it from being 'discovered' by my 5yr old twins....:eek: )

Keeping the foam windscreen on the mikes will also protect them from moisture as well. Keeping them on stands is a bad idea also because accidents happen. I keep mine susspended from the ceiling to avoid accidents.

And if you do have to leave them mounted on stands overnight for whatever reason, cover them with a plastic bag (along with a silica gel packet thrown in) and seal off with a rubber band.

Bruce

Re: Silica Gel Packs

Hey Blue Bear (or any one who may know)

Where can you buy extra packs of Silica Gel? I've called all the electronic supply stores in my area and no one has them or has any ideas.

I've got a couple (from recent mic purchases, etc.) but this discussion got me thinking I should get some more to protect all the gear I have packed away that I only use once in a while.

I have a couple of de-humidifiers running in the studio, (and they grab a lot of moisture out of the air) - but there are times I'm gone for several days and I can't keep them running.

So - any supply houses to can refer me to???

I GOT LITTLE BAGGIES OF THEM, GOOD FOR GUITAR CASES.
IM NOT SURE IN WHAT AMOUNT(QTY) THEY SELL THEM BY, BUT:

ASK ABOUT "DESICCITE 25". DEHUMIDIFICATION.

ENGELHARD
P.O. BOX 8337, JACKSON, MS 39284
1-800-654-4039

Thanks for the replys!! I had not taken the time to do a web search (duh).

As soon as I looked at the sites you guys suggested, I saw a lot of gun/knife/safe applications - so - I called a local Gander Mountain (outdoors supplies) and sure enough they have them.

It appears gun buyers are more of an end user than gear heads.

Back