Question about a USB microphone.

drummerboy_04AP

Hi,

I was browsing musiciansfriend.com when I came across this USB mic: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-.006-USB-Powered-Condenser-Microphone?sku=273175

I want to be able to just record our bands practices and just me and my acoustic, would this be sufficient? I just dont have the money to buy an interface and more mics and what not, so this looks like a good deal.

I know im not gonna get pro-quality recordings, but Im assuming ill get better quality than my radio shack mic right?

Thanks!

Yes, it should work. You may want to also check out the BLUE Snowball. The downside to USB mics is that they only work with USB; that is, you cannot connect them to a mixer or other mic preamp. So, if USB technology ever goes away, you're screwed. Think of it as a temporary solution, only.

ya, thats what im using it for, just until i can get some cash and decide I actually want to spend it...

Which would you choose between those two mics if you had to? The Blue or the MXL?

scrubs said:
Yes, it should work. You may want to also check out the BLUE Snowball. The downside to USB mics is that they only work with USB; that is, you cannot connect them to a mixer or other mic preamp. So, if USB technology ever goes away, you're screwed. Think of it as a temporary solution, only.

The other disadvantage is that you can only use one at a time, and with the exception of voice recording, it's kind of rare to use just a single mic to record something....

drummerboy_04AP said:
ya, thats what im using it for, just until i can get some cash and decide I actually want to spend it...

Which would you choose between those two mics if you had to? The Blue or the MXL?

Another disadvantage is direct monitoring while recording with these mics is a real problem.

I've not used any of the available usb mics (MXL, BLUE, Samson, Rode) but I'd probably go with the Snowball out of the bunch just by reputation.

scrubs said:
Another disadvantage is direct monitoring while recording with these mics is a real problem.

I've not used any of the available usb mics (MXL, BLUE, Samson, Rode) but I'd probably go with the Snowball out of the bunch just by reputation.
i've read that the blue has some gain problems-- make sure the mic itself has the latest firmware updates.
sweetwater and a few other retailers have recently cut the price down to $99 on these-- some are still at like $159

I have a little trouble recommending a USB microphone to a musician because for your needs it is such a dead-end piece of hardware. As soon as you want to record in stereo or multitrack it no longer has a role that it can serve for you. A USB mic is not going to give you something that you would want to send to somebody so just record on a cheap tape recorder and save your money for some gear that will give you more years of use.

^ ya, I guess your right. Im in high school, and only have a job in the summer, but I guess Itd be better to wait than to waste the money.

If I was in your shoes I'd buy a small inexpensive mixer ($30-$50)an run it to your computers line in on the sound card and download a free recording program,I've heard of a bunch of different kinds.I'd probably buy a a pair of Naiant MSH10 ($44 a pair). That should get you off and running (and under $100)and with some practice you should be able to get something your fairly happy with.

People may tell you not to go through your computer's stock sound card but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Good luck

funckyfinger said:
If I was in your shoes I'd buy a small inexpensive mixer ($30-$50)an run it to your computers line in on the sound card and download a free recording program,I've heard of a bunch of different kinds.I'd probably buy a a pair of Naiant MSH10 ($44 a pair). That should get you off and running (and under $100)and with some practice you should be able to get something your fairly happy with.

The cheapest mixer that wouldn't fall into the throwaway category, IMHO, is the Peavey PV6, at about $90. Even still, with a pair of 1O mics, you're still below last month's price on USB mics. :)

Back