question about mics and noise reduction

I use a AKG C 4000 B mic with a Roland VS-1680 and phantom power. There is this loud buzz I have no answer for. My question is, is there some relatively cheap device I can use to reduce this buzz or any other suggestions?

To reduce the buzz you sort of need to know what is producing it. Is it definitely coming from using the microphone into the VS-1680 and if so, have you tried a new XLR to XLR cable?
- If you have another microphone, such as a dynamic is the buzz still there?
- Do you have any devices nearby that might produce electrical noise, such as CFL/florescent lamps?
- Does moving the microphone or cables around change the sound of the buzz?
- Are there other devices plugged into an input of the VS-1680 that may be powered from an AC outlet? Preamp, keyboard, etc?
- Can you post a short clip of the buzz?

yes, thank you. The cord is fairly new. I found a buzz removal effect on my recorder that somewhat solved the problem this morning, don't know where it's coming from really.

You say "Phantom power" does the Roland unit supply this or are you using an external power supply?

If the latter and the noise is constant I would suspect that. I note that AKG mic only requires around 2mA of spook juice and can run from 9volts to 52 V. With a male/female XLR set and two 6k8 resistors and a couple of 9V batteries you could prove the supply good or bad.

The cable COULD be at fault but since audio and phantom power is getting through I doubt it.

Dave.

Back