Quality of CAD drum mics

PeteHalo

What's the general opinion on CAD drum mics? I'm getting ready to record a metal band's double kick drum set and I found a set of CAD mics for $500. The set consists of a KBM 412 bass drum mic, 5x TSM 411 dynamics and 2x AT PRO37 R (NB: Audio-Technica not CAD) condensers. This is the first time I'm trying to record drums micing each individual drum and we're looking for a good demo sound quality on a budjet. I'm using Fostex VF16 multitracker and Fostex VM88 mixer so there's plenty of inputs to take every mic that I can throw at them.

In a word, crummy. I've had the tsm11's, and while the shock mounting was nice for drums, the sound quality really wasn't there. I'm much happier just sticking sm57's everywhere...

Although, the CADs were my first drum mike kit, and they WERE convenient, and they WERE decent (but not great). You could do worse. But, I outgrew them very quickly and you probably will, too - so, choose carefully, unless you want to end up re-buying mics over and over again (like I've done)!

Thanks.

A friend of mine has suggested the following alternative set that costs about the same here. Would this be better or worse than the CAD set?

BD - Sennheiser e602
SD - Shure SM57
Tomx3 Carol MUD525
OH 2x Behringer ECM8000

Back