PZM on kick drum

kristian

hey, ive seen this setup, where a PZM is mounted ona rectangle/square piece of wood, and the something, rubber, padding, is put on the edge of the wood, and the this is laid down in the kick drum. so it looks like an O with a line drawn horizontally about 2/3 down the O. anybody ever try this? anybody like it? anybody got any good ideas on a PZM to use for this?

Wow, that sounds interesting. I would like to give that a try. I have one of Crown's top PZM mics and they are really nice for full range things, like pianos, but for kick drums seems odd. They have a lot of boost in the higher range. I have used them as overheads for drums with great results, especially on cymbals, but I can't see good results coming from a kick drum, but I could be wrong. I would be anxious to hear any more replies on this.

MIKE

When a hard floor is available, I like to use a PZM right in front of the bass drum on the floor when recording drums for jazz; and obviously, this is not restricted to jazz.

I just recorded some 4 track cassette demos, where we were WAY short on good mic's and had to use an old radio shack PZM on the kick. While we didn't construct anything like you describe to hold the mike inside the drum, the results were pretty good.
Note: the drum itself was very high quality and perfectly tuned and it did take a lot of EQ to try to isolate the kick from the other things the PZM picked up. But as far as a good thump - yeah it works pretty good.

i need to get hold of a PZM. i understand that crown's are the way to go. but what about the tandy/radio shack mic? are those bad replicas. because i hear people say "the origianl radioshack/realistic" and then just "radioshack/reaslistic".

Well, I like PZM mics. I like the crowns, but as far as I know, the original Radio Shack PZM was made by crown and was contracted out for Radio Shack. Since then, they have been made elsewhere. I am not sure about that information, but I think I read it somewhere. I am sure someone else on this board knows more about that than I do. But I thought I might jog somebody's memory.

mike

Back