Pzm?

jacobdetoth

What's the deal with PZM mics?
I read that they were 'really great 60 dollar mics', (here, in reference to recording vocals)

A quick hr search shows there's been only one mention of them (recording a piano).

Anyone have solid info?

I've used a couple of PZMs to record one of my bands playing at a local restaurant. I couldn't put mic stands out in the main part of the restaurant, so I taped the PZMs to the wall behind the band. They picked up everything - conversations, noises in the kitchen, but they gave a pretty accurate representation of how the music sounded in the restaurant. I think people would be quite amazed at the results obtainable from a couple of PZMs. Don't hear much about them, but I think they can be very useful, and can be great in the right circumstances.

- Wil

PZM's are also known as Boundary mics...Radio Shack had them the last time I looked for about $40.00..They are suposed to sound better with a 9 volt battery..You have to adapt them for this.Freind of mine used them as overheads also, says that they were pretty good..They seem like a good value ..Good luck

Don

There are Instructions online for adapting them for Phantom Power. Simple ones It seems that they were engineered for that in the first place and all you have to do is solder the cord on and you are in buisness.

Radio Shack

The good PZM's are no longer sold by radio shack. I have two of the old ones screwed to my ceiling in my studio for recording drums. They are easily adapted to balanced outputs. You just cut the 1/4 inch plugs off and put on XLR's or TRS's. The wires are all there. I think they sound great for drums, I just put one mic on the bass drum, and use the PZM's for everything else.

Back