Professional microphone cable?

Thomas A

Hej!

What professional microphone cable would you recommend to use in the studio? (sold per inch without connectors) I am planning to use it for microphones and as patch cable (it's the same type of balanced cable right?) I've heard good about Mogami, but which one of their cables should I choose? Other recomendations?

/Thomas - Sweden

I've got abour a half dozen ProCo Excalibur 10 footers for instruments. They sound great. Nice n quiet.
Just picked up 2 Mogami 25 ft XLR's for mics. I like em.
Good luck in your quest.
Kel

I'd go with Mogami as well, and that's what I'm gonna get next time I need cable. I'm almost finished with a spool from West Penn Wire. It's decent, but probably not pro.

You basically want a shielded cable with 2 conductors and a ground. This can be used for mic and line cables.

Thank you for the replies. Looking at the mogami website...
http://www.mogamicable.com/

I have some questions:

This cable looks nice: No.2534
"Part No.2534
Reference Standard NEGLEX Quad High Definition Mic.
Cable
NEGLEX No.2534 has become popular around the
world as the standard for high quality digital and
analog recording. The cable has also become popular
for use with unbalanced equipment, such as high
quality pre-amp, amp inputs and tape decks."

But why and when do you use 4 conductors in a microphone cable? :confused:

And then it's this one:

"W2549 has been designed using our famous Neglex OFC to provide the highest quality audio reproduction in any recording application. It features #22AWG conductors and extremely low capacitance. The 100% coverage served shield and twisted pair construction is excellent at preventing noise caused by electromagnetic interference. This cable is recommended when extended high frequencies are important or where long cable runs may be needed. "

and this:

Part No. W2552 & W2582

Superflexible Light Weight Mic. Cables With Overall Shield
Here is an extremely limp and flexible cable for all types of audio/visual and industrial audio applications. XLPE insulation and a strong rubber - like outer jacket makes this cable ideal where a durable yet economical cable is needed.

Wich one should I go for do you think? The W2549 maybe?

Thomas A said:

On the 4-lead cables, I believe you use 2 leads for the "+" and 2 leads for the "-", then you connect the shield to ground. In cables I have looked at I found 2 blue leads and 2 white leads. Some old 4-lead cables that had once been used in our audio system at our church, were put together in this manner.

Thomas A said:
Thank you for the replies. Looking at the mogami website...
http://www.mogamicable.com/

I have some questions:
This cable looks nice: No.2534
This type of cable is wired as JPS said. The pairs of wires are twisted together. This helps further reduce RF and EMI noise along with the balanced circuit. Unless you have significant noise problems, I would not use this cable if I were you, as it is more expensive.

Thomas A said:
Wich one should I go for do you think? The W2549 maybe?

Kind of depends. 2549 is a very rugged cable, with thicker diameter than 2552/2582. It is designed for long life in rough handling situations. 2552/2582 are good cables, probably last forever under normal use in a home studio or most live applications. 2552/2582 is extremely flexible, makes smaller piles when wrapped, and is lighter. This really doesn't matter until you have a lot of cables.

Just so you know, when they say "extended high frequencies in long runs" they mean around 100 meters or more. Most microphone cables of just about any quality will not lose HF response in runs shorter than that.

Back