Problems with Shure PG42 and phantom power

fillyj0nk

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm here because I am having problems with my Shure PG42 XLR microphone. Basically, I am trying to use phantom power to connect it to a Macbook. I have a Polsen XLR-USB-48 adapter. It's a cheap piece of equipment, but it IS supposed to provide 48 volts of phantom power to the microphone so that the computer can pick up the input. The light on the adapter is indicating that phantom power is being provided, and the Macbook is recognizing the microphone, but it isn't picking up any sound. Does anyone here have some advice for me? Thank you.

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm here because I am having problems with my Shure PG42 XLR microphone. Basically, I am trying to use phantom power to connect it to a Macbook. I have a Polsen XLR-USB-48 adapter. It's a cheap piece of equipment, but it IS supposed to provide 48 volts of phantom power to the microphone so that the computer can pick up the input. The light on the adapter is indicating that phantom power is being provided, and the Macbook is recognizing the microphone, but it isn't picking up any sound. Does anyone here have some advice for me? Thank you.

Hmm, I wonder why you bought a quite decent microphone of a fair price ($300?) and then the arse end of mic converters? If at all possible bounce that Polsen thing back and buy a Steinberg UR22 (or an Alesis i02 if really strapped but I am not sure they run on macs?) .

If you could plug the whole shooting match into a PC, any PC, and report back I might be able to help you further.

Dave.

Hmm, I wonder why you bought a quite decent microphone of a fair price ($300?) and then the arse end of mic converters? If at all possible bounce that Polsen thing back and buy a Steinberg UR22 (or an Alesis i02 if really strapped but I am not sure they run on macs?) .

If you could plug the whole shooting match into a PC, any PC, and report back I might be able to help you further.

Dave.

Hi, thanks for responding to my thread! I got the Shure microphone on Ebay, for about $100. It was advertised as a USB microphone, but that's another story...

I tried plugging the "shooting match" into an old PC laptop. Same results as with the Mac.

Hi, thanks for responding to my thread! I got the Shure microphone on Ebay, for about $100. It was advertised as a USB microphone, but that's another story...

I tried plugging the "shooting match" into an old PC laptop. Same results as with the Mac.

Aha! So you don't actually know if the microphone works? First job, find a mate or shop that will let you plug the mic into a mixer or AI.

Dave.

Aha! So you don't actually know if the microphone works? First job, find a mate or shop that will let you plug the mic into a mixer or AI.

Dave.

Thanks. What sort of shop would that be? I'm not too familiar with mic shops and the like.

Thanks. What sort of shop would that be? I'm not too familiar with mic shops and the like.
First off, where in the world are you? Shop needs to be an electrical store like our Maplin (Googe it) or almost any music store would have some kind of mixer about the place.
Obviously a recording studio, might even blagg your way into a local radio office! Schools?

If indeed the mic is faulty (could be the XLR cable of course) I am sure Shure would like to preserve their good name and service it for a nominal sum? That last of course depends upon it being a genuine Shure product! LOT of shronky 57/58s about.
could
And! Had you bought a PROPER interface in the first place THAT could have been used to diagnose the problem!
Dave.

First off, where in the world are you? Shop needs to be an electrical store like our Maplin (Googe it) or almost any music store would have some kind of mixer about the place.
Obviously a recording studio, might even blagg your way into a local radio office! Schools?

If indeed the mic is faulty (could be the XLR cable of course) I am sure Shure would like to preserve their good name and service it for a nominal sum? That last of course depends upon it being a genuine Shure product! LOT of shronky 57/58s about.
could
And! Had you bought a PROPER interface in the first place THAT could have been used to diagnose the problem!
Dave.

I live in the United States. Looks like Maplin is only in Europe?
There's a Guitar Center a couple miles away. Do you think that would work? Otherwise, I could try a music store in the next town over, or the local high school.
I know, I know, should've shopped more wisely to begin with. Wish I'd started with this forum. You're already more helpful than the Wikihow articles I was reading.

I live in the United States. Looks like Maplin is only in Europe?
There's a Guitar Center a couple miles away. Do you think that would work? Otherwise, I could try a music store in the next town over, or the local high school.
I know, I know, should've shopped more wisely to begin with. Wish I'd started with this forum. You're already more helpful than the Wikihow articles I was reading.

Head down to GC and give them a story you're looking for a small mixer with effects and would like to try one out with your mic and a set of headphones. Not sure if they would let you just test a mic without an intent on buying something, but they might depending on the store.

As Dave mentioned, it helps when we know where people are to give direction on a place to go. If you get a chance put your location in your profile, even if it just is 'US'.

When you plugged the mic into the PC what software were you using and have you successfully gotten the software to actually record from any other device other than the PG42? Just wondering that it might be a matter of 'arming' a track in the software or similar to get the software to actually 'hear' the mic, even though it may show as recognized.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, I have heard that they will chase you down the street for a tip in US but surely if the OP phones the store and gives a truthful account of hi predicament they should have the good business sense to help him out as a possible future customer? After all, it will take them less than 30 seconds to plug that mic into a desk or suchwhich and pronounce it dead or alive?

Dave.

Hi Mark, I have heard that they will chase you down the street for a tip in US but surely if the OP phones the store and gives a truthful account of hi predicament they should have the good business sense to help him out as a possible future customer? After all, it will take them less than 30 seconds to plug that mic into a desk or suchwhich and pronounce it dead or alive?

Dave.

Hi again. So I went to Guitar Center, and they tested the mic for me, even though I didn't buy anything. Anyway, the microphone works very well. The converter is just useless. I'm going to save up $100 or so and go back to buy a decent audio interface. Thanks for the help!

By the way, I'm actually female. Are the people in this forum mostly guys?

Hi again. So I went to Guitar Center, and they tested the mic for me, even though I didn't buy anything. Anyway, the microphone works very well. The converter is just useless. I'm going to save up $100 or so and go back to buy a decent audio interface. Thanks for the help!
Good to hear. Be sure to buy a 'real' audio interface and not a mixer with USB that has limited use as an interface.
This one for a bit less than $100 gets mentioned here occasionally..... Alesis iO2 Express USB Audio Interface IO2 EXPRESS B&H Photo

Probably a much higher percentage of guys here versus gals.

Good to hear. Be sure to buy a 'real' audio interface and not a mixer with USB that has limited use as an interface.
This one for a bit less than $100 gets mentioned here occasionally..... Alesis iO2 Express USB Audio Interface IO2 EXPRESS B&H Photo

Probably a much higher percentage of guys here versus gals.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I've learned my lesson with the crappy adapter. I'm going to be careful about the equipment I invest in.

Yeah Fills, 99% blokes here I would guess. For budget AIs yes, Mark is on the money about the i02*. I read in the current Sound on Sound that Tascam have just released a new budget AI, the 2x2 for £99.99 here. Probably be $99.99 for you.
N.B. the 2x2 is also available as a "bundle" with a mic and headphones, do not get that. The mic is not a patch on many $100 LDCs apparently and certainly not your Shure. The cans too are pretty poor. The AI is available on its own, one to look out for? I am off now to check some speccs!

*I gave a guy on this forum an i02. Any chance you still look in chap? Love to know how do!

Dave.

Ah! 'tis a bit more expensive than I thought..

TASCAM US-2X2 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater.com But has an excellent specification and everything you need to get going with home recording. The bundled software, Sonar has an excellent rep (I have Sonar X1 Ess and hate it but that's just me being a cantankerous old git. My son used it without problems) .

So, maybe save a little more? Tascam have always made good solid gear of great value for money. Their US1800 is something of a legend in HR circles! The latest US-20-20 USB 3.0 interface looks fabulous and like the 1800 before it likely to corner the multi-track AI projjy market as a very affordable MTrck solution. (you can even use it as a stand alone stage mixer!).

Dave.

*I gave a guy on this forum an i02. Any chance you still look in chap? Love to know how do!

Dave.

Nobody ever gives ME anything but I have an M Audio M Track which is identical to the iO2 with a different badge and I'm very pleased with it. I bought it for simple theatre playback duties but have ended up being impressed enough with the pre amp quality that I now use it for lots of simple recording when I don't want to fire up my 32 channel multitrack beast.

Nobody ever gives ME anything but I have an M Audio M Track which is identical to the iO2 with a different badge and I'm very pleased with it. I bought it for simple theatre playback duties but have ended up being impressed enough with the pre amp quality that I now use it for lots of simple recording when I don't want to fire up my 32 channel multitrack beast.

Bob, I would gladly give you my Wayne Kerr Radford microvoltmeter ANM3 if you weren't so bloody far away!
Yes, I thought that little Alesis was the bees' leg joints!

Dave.

...and I'd happily accept your Wayne Kerr despite the rude nicknames we used to use for the brand at work. Alas, I AM very far away so I'll have to be content with my 25 year old Fluke and the Maplins cheapie I have to take to theatres where gear is known to "walk".

Ah! 'tis a bit more expensive than I thought..

TASCAM US-2X2 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater.com But has an excellent specification and everything you need to get going with home recording. The bundled software, Sonar has an excellent rep (I have Sonar X1 Ess and hate it but that's just me being a cantankerous old git. My son used it without problems) .

So, maybe save a little more? Tascam have always made good solid gear of great value for money. Their US1800 is something of a legend in HR circles! The latest US-20-20 USB 3.0 interface looks fabulous and like the 1800 before it likely to corner the multi-track AI projjy market as a very affordable MTrck solution. (you can even use it as a stand alone stage mixer!).

Dave.

How does the iO2 compare to the Tascam? The Tascam does sound impressive, and I want to make the best possible investment. That said, if both are good quality then I'd prefer to go with the more affordable option so that I can start recording sooner rather than later.

How does the iO2 compare to the Tascam? The Tascam does sound impressive, and I want to make the best possible investment. That said, if both are good quality then I'd prefer to go with the more affordable option so that I can start recording sooner rather than later.

Ah, keen! I like that! I would say, from the speccs, that Tascam is about as "state of the art" as you are likely to get for $140 in an AI. That said, the "art" is really in the last few dBs of headroom and pre amp noise and the latter is very unlikely to bother you with a capacitor mic. In any case Bobs said the i02 pre amps were pretty good anyway.

With your present ancillary gear and (WTGR!) level of skill I very much doubt you would tell the two units apart in a blind test. Maybe you have not said or this old duffer has missed it but what are the make and model of headphones you use? Maybe get the i02 first and then keep saving for some better cans?

At some point in the future if you get a bit serious, you will need to look at proper monitor speakers (present and anticipated spend all gone again and then some!) and room treatment but the latter need not cost a great deal.

Dave.

I haven't had personal experience of the Tascam US 2X2 but I have had good experiences with some of their previous models. I have to say that, to my ear, the Alesis is as good but I've never had them side by side to do any serious measurements. Certainly the Alesis is entirely happy with condenser mics (by the way, when Dave says capacitor mics he means the same thing...he's more technically accurate but the world calls them condensers, so...). I've also used the Alesis (M Track) with dynamics like the SM57, SM58, Audix OM5 and a few others with no gain/noise issues.

Looking at the front panel of the Tascam, the feature list seems identical in terms of inputs, monitoring, phantom, etc etc.

Back