Problems with Samson mtr231

Ayalaskin

Hello.

I just bought a Samson MTR231 that comes with a shock mount and a small pop filter.
The problem is the microphone is getting a lot of noises.

I need some advises to help me find where the problem might be.

The setup is:
Mic: Samson MTR231
Mixer / Audio Interface: Alesis Multimix 4 USB
Audio Recorder: Audacity and then tried Sound Forge (with asio4all).
Cables: Standard Santo Angelo (1 meter).

The problem:
The audio noise is very high, its sounds like a bunch of air is being directed to the microphone.
All the equipment is brand new, just bought a few days ago.

What I've done so far:
In the System Sound, in the tab Recording, in the tab Levels, I tried to lower the Microphone to something like 30. This helped reduce the noise.
In the mixer with low Gain and low channel Level, I was able to also reduce the noise. (If I rise the Levels in the mixer, the Clip LED's starts to flicker a lot)
In the mixer when I turned HPF on, I also was able to reduce the noise.
When I changed to Audacity with the help of the ASIO4ALL codec, I also reduced the noise.

That what the mic sounds BEFORE my attempts:
before.png

And that's what the mic sounds AFTER my attempts:
after.png

Buts still a lot of noise.
If you compare the size of the waves when I'm quiet with the size of the waves when I'm speaking, you see that the noises are very high.

Any advises would be appreciated.
I never worked with Audio, I just bought the stuff and plugged in.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
"Cables: Non balanced standard Santo Angelo (1 meter)."
What are the connectors on each end of the cable? I'm assuming both ends are XLR for the mic to receive phantom power. For the microphone you should be using a "balanced" cable, so to state you have a "non balanced" cable is questionable.

Hello.
I thought existed balanced and non banlanced cables, but turns out that I just misunderstood the concept.
The cable is xlr to xlr and the mixer provides phantom power.

Also where I live have a bit of umidity.
The mic is brand new, no one used it, but I will try what you said.

I tested with another mixer, and with another cable as well.
And the problem persist.

I plugged the mic with 0 Level and 0 Gain, then I rose the level and the gain just a little bit, and the the 'air' noise started to appear. I did no spoke, just left the mic turned on, and changed the level and gain.
I tested with a dynamic mic in the same mixers, and there was no noise.
We also tested with the output direct to an amplifier with the p10 connector, without using a pc, just direct connected to the sound.

The guy from the shop told me that maybe its the microfone that is hypersensitive, made for closed studio.
Is that true?
I tried to put some socks around the mic to test if it was capturing the wind (which my room does not even have, very quiet and closed here). But it did not matter.
I'm doing something wrong? I'm lacking some equipment? There is something I can do?

Last edited:
A friend of mine told me that maybe the Capsule glued in the other component (something like the microphone pickup, don't know to correct term).
I was told to blow some hot air direct to the microphone so the capsule unglues.

Someone can confirm this?

What could happen?
Can damage it?

Anyway, I think I will just return the product and ask my money back.
I sent the mic to another friend of mine that have a studio, he told that the mic is indeed with some strange problem.

Thank you.

Back