Problems with Rode NTG 2 Connecting To Camera

finbar_S

Hi there,

I've been using a Rode NTG 2 mic with my Canon 5D Mkiii for a few months now (not very experienced with the equipment, forgive me) and recently I've been having problems with getting the mic to work, rather than the sound coming out of the camera's built-in mic. The mic has full batteries, and is plugged in correctly, but often while using the mic there have been loud "clicking" noises through the headphones, and then the mic audio cuts out and reverts to the built-in mic. I've found that I have to jiggle the wire connecting it to the camera to get the sound to come out of the mic again, and even then, when the wire is moved to a different position it can revert back to the built-in mic.

Could it be that the mic or the wire are in some way damaged, and what can I do about this?

I'm not entirely sure it's linked to this, but the problem may have started after the mic fell over and hit the floor while attached to a boom pole.

Thanks for any help!

It's likely that the fall has caused the problem. If jiggling the wire fixes it (at leat temporarily), it's maybe just a loose connection.

To fix it you need to get inside the NTG 2 and see where the lead is connected and where it might have come adrift. With luck, a touch of the soldering iron will fix it. If you are out of luck, the break is inaccessible.

Back