A problem i am having with my microphone

royaltyBeats

I have a BM-800 microphone and i seem to be having a problem with it. Well i am not sure if it is problem with my PC or the microphone but basically on Realtek HD Audio Manager when i put the the microphone on CD Quality and put the Microphone effects on i cant hear no buzzing sound but the microphone is not as clear. However the quality sounds a lot better when its on Studio Quality but with studio quality i can not have microphone effects. So i was wondering what i should do to get rid of the buzzing sound i hear in the microphone. If i do not respond please can you message me on Skype if u have it - Draqzownage

The problem is not the microphone if you can get it to record into the computer with one of the Realtek settings. The issue would be the Realtek HD Audio Manager and what its software allows you to do with a particular quality setting and if it allows effects for those settings. Having said that, no one here is likely using the soundcard in a computer or the software associated with it as it is just generally regarded as poor quality for the recording folks do here.
What is it you're trying to do that you need to have effects while using the mic. Add the vocal effects later in the DAW software, which is what most do when recording, that way you're not stuck with effects in what you originally tracked.

I am a beginner with all of this so could you please explain this in a much simpler way for me to understand. Do i need a better soundcard?

I am a beginner with all of this so could you please explain this in a much simpler way for me to understand. Do i need a better soundcard?

In short, yes.
It's possible, I'm sure, to get a decent sound with very modest gear but you're starting at a disadvantage using the built in soundcard.
Buzzing, interference, noise, etc are all common enough problems and usually a real pain, or impossible, to fix.

A basic two channel interface with dedicated mic preamplifier (look for XLR input, gain knob and phantom power) is going to be designed with high quality microphone input in mind, and will probably have better drivers with regard to latency etc.
It will also have the advantage of handling your inputs and outputs, and most give you a separate headphone output with volume control too.

You could also look at USB microphones as an alternative but, as with everything, there are good ones and bad ones.
A lot of those don't handle output, so be aware of that. Some do but as far as I know it'll be via headphone only.
A bit of research goes a long way.

If your intention is voice chat/teamspeak/youtube/streaming, the latter might be the better option.

Frankly, if you get into recording you'll very quickly need a better interface and a better microphone.

However, just to get started, use what you have but record the microphone in "Studio Quality". Then add effects in whatever audio software you're using.

To get you started, Audacity is free and can do a very basic job but without many frills. Another piece of software called Reaper is free to try for as long as you need and only $60 to buy if you like it. Reaper will add the same sort of effects that your "microphone effects" offer but at infinitely better quality.

The problem is not the microphone if you can get it to record into the computer with one of the Realtek settings. The issue would be the Realtek HD Audio Manager and what its software allows you to do with a particular quality setting and if it allows effects for those settings. Having said that, no one here is likely using the soundcard in a computer or the software associated with it as it is just generally regarded as poor quality for the recording folks do here.
What is it you're trying to do that you need to have effects while using the mic. Add the vocal effects later in the DAW software, which is what most do when recording, that way you're not stuck with effects in what you originally tracked.

can you explain this in a more simplified way. I do not understand what your telling me. for example, can u just say yes you need a new and better soundcard. What you should buy is.... because i do not understand what your saying

Sadly, you are likely to have permanent problems with recording as it's a very technical area of work, and really the advice you've been given is very basic in level.

Your computer, like virtually every computer has about 10 pounds/dollars worth of audio components inside, and they always seem to hum/crackle/pop.

So - yes you need to buy an audio interface - NOT a sound card. Almost everyone nowadays uses USB/firewire connected ones, outside the computer and away from all the electrical noise they produce. Google for audio interface, and forget sound cards. They will all be stereo - having two mic inputs on all but the most basic. Some have the facility to power microphones, others do not. (This might be described as phantom power - but just means it squirts a few volts up your mic cable, which some mics need)

Google Focusrite Scarlet for a popular entry level one. First thing would be to do some reading into modern recording. Can I suggest Sound on Sound magazine - and their website. You have some pretty intensive stuff to get to grips with.

You need:
an audio interface
microphone
appropriate cable to connect it to the interface
software - the ones above are good to start with.
Patience - in huge quantities
Oh yes - and of course speakers/amps/headphones/stands and other helpful items.

can you explain this in a more simplified way. I do not understand what your telling me. for example, can u just say yes you need a new and better soundcard. What you should buy is.... because i do not understand what your saying
Again I'll ask..... what is it you are trying to do, record singing, podcast, or other and is it absolutely necessary to have effects on the voice while you are doing what ever you are doing or can it be added later? What you should get might depend on what you are trying to do and how much you have to spend on it.

Back