Problem!!! Distortion when recording vocals

RayJohnson

Hey!
No matter what i do, it seems i get distorted signal when i record vocals. WHy does this happen? I don't push the fader too high though, nor i use compressors or any other plugs before recording. Get me off the hook somebody... crying... :o

Yea, we need to know everything in your signal chain; from the mic to the computer (assuming you're recording digitally).

Well, the chain is as follows: mic>preamp>mixer>interface>computer.
I use an RODE Classic II, an ISA one, an A&H ZED 22fx, and an RME fireface800.
I run Cubase 5. Thanks for you replies

Firstly, cut the mixer out of that chain. Why have an unnecessary link? If you need it for monitoring, use one of the outputs on the FF800 to feed back into the mixer.

Now, what kind of levels are you seeing at each stage? How good are you with your gain staging?

Leave quite a bit of headroom at each stage - don't have it so its just on the verge of peaking like many people try to do.

Also, do you have the AD option on the Focusrite? Can't you just run ADAT or S/PDIF straight into the RME?

Last edited:
If it's just voices that are bad. And instruments record just fine. It's probably in need of a wind screen and/or pop filter. Just because you're indoors doesn't mean you don't need those things. Voices exhale air at the mic. A/C units blow air, fans blow air, drafty spaces, open doors, open windows, just because there's four walls doesn't always mean much. Certain mics have substantial windscreens built into their design(SM58 / SM7b / ???). A lot of condensers don't since those affect the sound.

It could also be the signal chain. Put a boom box set to an equivalent volume at the same perspective to the mic. See if the distortion persists. If not then it's probably not the chain. And probably something to do with wind screens. If it does, then there's something else at work. i.e. You're probably feeding the interface too strong of a signal.

As mentioned, cut the mixer out of the chain. I don't see a need for it.

Then, first step is: What sort of level are you seeing on the meter of the Focusrite?

If you really wanna trouble shoot it right, take one thing at a time out of the signal chain until you find the problem. Kinda tedious, but I've had to do it before myself. Also, if you do have any sort of SPDIF in/out on your pre, I'd use it. You'll get a super clean signal, and it will be easy to trouble shoot next time you run into any issues.

Back