Principles behind mic positioning

Right. I did know that.

You guys want drop box or is there a way to make a little stream thing here, like an insert audio file with a button to press to play..? Can't insert to your daw though. So tell me which is preferred
If you go "ADVANCED", you can insert a clip into a post.

here we go, raw and processed, in the mix and solo. I'm still tracking everything, so don't mind the mix. Also, this is a double. I can go into the verse if that's better - but I also wanted to show how the doubles are stacking and almost competing. The freq's really pile on in my doubles.

processed inserts include: EQ, de-ess, comp 4:1 w/7db reduction max, verb

View attachment FX Double Solo V.mp3 Solo Vocals, with inserts on

View attachment Raw Double, no FX.mp3 Solo Vocals, raw

View attachment Double Track V -no processing - in the mix.mp3 Vocals Raw, in the mix

View attachment Double Track V in the mix.mp3 Processed Vocals, in the mix

If there is any boxiness in the raw track, the doubling effect is hiding it. Can you post a clip without the doubling?

Honestly, I think it sounds okay. It is a little sibilant, but nothing out of line. I ~think~ I hear the room in there, but not sure. It definitely does not come through in the mix. I didn't hear anything harsh or grating. I know Rami said he heard it in one of your tunes and I trust his ears, so maybe it is coming in processing and not the source, mic or room.

You sing pretty darn good. Very fitting for the genre. :)

I know Rami said he heard it in one of your tunes and I trust his ears,
I pretty much hear what you described. Sounds ok but it's sibilant. That's all I heard in his tunes, too. It's really not bad, but the high's are a little harsh. Now is that the mic, his lips, etc...I don't know. But I'm almost positive a room doesn't cause that.

I pretty much hear what you described. Sounds ok but it's sibilant. That's all I heard in his tunes, too. It's really not bad, but the high's are a little harsh. Now is that the mic, his lips, etc...I don't know. But I'm almost positive a room doesn't cause that.

Ok, I'll go with angling and height adjustments for now. I'll see how that turns out. Thnx for the help everyone

You do sing really well, brethrin.

It would be funny if we met Taras and find out that this is exactly how he talks. All sibilant, spitting all over us and shit. :D

You do sing really well, brethrin.

It would be funny if we met Taras and find out that this is exactly how he talks. All sibilant, spitting all over us and shit. :D

Nope, but I do have an underbite which needs:

1. Braces for a year
2. Surgery to move the jaw, with one week hospital stay.
3. Braces for another year.

I've been putting it off forever. Braces are ridiculously expensive.

What I hear is you kind of "whip" into certain phrases/notes and when you do it the notes become more sibilant and nasal. For example, the opening line in the unprocessed track has no grating frequency. The next two lines the phrasing is more unorthodox and you have to catch up to hit notes (also a lot of s's in that sentence). "And whisper" and the word "alone" have that whipping phrasing and sounds like all head voice, so I think the combination of head voice and phrasing is what's causing it. Maybe instead of whipping into the note so quickly and using headvoice go into the notes slower and try to use more chest, or if you can't use more chest, angle the microphone slightly downward toward the chest. I also think singing closer and taking advantage of proximity effect might round it out. I'd try singing closer, a few degrees off axis, and with the mic pointed down. Then I'd try to adjust phrasing and more smoothly into certain notes instead of whipping into them. I hope that makes sense.

Taras, none of those clips sounds bad, but you need to post ones where you're really belting it out. I think those grating frequencies stand out the louder you are singing--which might suggest a solution, BTW.

Taras, none of those clips sounds bad, but you need to post ones where you're really belting it out. I think those grating frequencies stand out the louder you are singing--which might suggest a solution, BTW.

This is true. I do hear the sibilance, though, even in these clips. The S's aren't "nice", they're on the verge of SH's, if you know what I mean.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...s/detail-page/sc_b006ytzoos-03sideprofile.jpg

I ordered this yesterday. It'll be here this afternoon. I also moved the mic to just before the middle of the room, and angled it down and to the right slightly. I have put up 3 tick blankets behind me where the mic is pointing. This filter will be behind it, obviously. The ceiling is exposed, but the floor is carpeted (mic is angled down anyways).

Maybe I'll post some results later this week.

Back