Powering Microphones

Ok, I have a lapel condenser mic that needs a little power to work, it can't handle phantom 48V.

So I'm on a mission to get it powered!

Ok, I have a lapel condenser mic that needs a little power to work, it can't handle phantom 48V.

If you want help, you need to provide details. What mic is it? What is it looking for for power? 5 volt?

here's the post that the OP is referencing from 2010, not sure where the referenced 'Powering Microphones' info is

Originally Posted by oretez

Electret mics, typically, are permanently biased and have their own on board power sources (and it is not necessarily true that hitting the phantom power will toast them it is, typically a good idea to not test the theory)
PC mics do not have their own power source. They require the +5V power as described above. The lav mics should work into a PC if wired as described on the "Powering Microphones" page. You can make a simple 9V battery box as described on that page to run them.

It's a cheap pce of junk I got purely for testing, here are the only specs I could find;

Specifications:
Frequency Range: 30Hz~15000Hz
Impedance: 2.2K Ohm
Sensitivity: -52dB±5dB
Plugging: 3.5mm
Length of cable: Approx 2m(It is only for the reference. Please make the object as the standard)
Nei weight: 11 g
Package weight: 37 g
Color: Black

I'm not concerned about sound quality at the moment, if I can get it to the stage where I can plug it into my 8ch Behringer mixer and working then I can look into a better mic.

I'm guessing I need to make a little box like this;Condenser Microphone Power Supply

But maybe a little better..

Sorry for my noob attitude, but I know very little about this field.

Why not just buy another mic instead of wasting money getting your 'cheap pce of junk I got purely for testing' to work?

Makes no sense to me man.

Well then take some advice from me. Don't waste money fixing something that costs more money than replacing it with something that works.

Just sayin... :)

Well no I can't myself.

But that would be a great thing to either search on this forum or post a new thread asking that specific question.

This one started out quite vague and likely will stay that way.

I'm not really after the greatest Mic on earth, I only need something short term and it will be used to monitor my own voice (don't ask, it gets complicated set up wise.

So, I just need a lapel condenser mic that is either self powered or 48V phantom. I have an 8ch Behringer Eurorack mixer on hand as well.

I like this option, as batteries shit me, going flat all the time...lousy batteries..

9 52V Phantom Power XLR TIE Clip Lapel Lavalier Microphone Video Camera Mixer | eBay

But, will this do what I want?

Your lapel mic is probably looking for "plug in power", a feature of many camcorders. The 3.5mm miniplug is a clue. My Zoom H4n provides that for me, separate and distinct from 48V phantom power. I have no idea what the specs are, but the manual may specify. Do a search on "plug in power", and you'll probably find some useful info. Also check with the manufacturer, because lapel mics usually are paired with a battery powered power supply, often worn on the belt, which provides the specified plug in power. Good luck.

Back