Posted this in an open thread but got no responses. Queston bout gear storage.

apoczen211

I've moved to Canada about 9 months ago and have put all of my recording gear in a warehouse where I previously lived in Florida. I did not intend on leaving the gear in Florida for more than 2 months, but some events prevented me from picking my things up. So, no my gear was in the warehouse for 5 months, then in a sealed shed that my friend moved it to for about 3 months. All the mics are in their factory cases, which is 3 condensers, 2 dynamics, my 002 rack, and Presonus LT preamp, as well as my Event ALP5 active monitors. They are now in an air conditioned house and have been for about a month now. Does anyone think my gear will have issues? The preamp and 002 rack were wrapped in pillow cases, while the monitors were exposed, just in a big box.

I'd expect it to all be fine. This stuff isn't particularly fragile, with the possible exception of ribbon mics.

Probably won't sound different but I'd be afraid of the cone/surround glue of any speakers getting frail from heat/cold extremes for long periods.

I seriously doubt you'll have any issues. Think of the way gear for a big rock tour travels: in multiple 40 foot trailers at whatever the ambient temperature and humidity is prevalent--maybe as far apart as northern Canada in winter then onto the heat and humidity in Florida. When I moved from the UK to Australia, my gear spent many weeks in a container on a ship, traversing the tropics and all arrived fine.

Thanks for the responses. After reading tons of articles on this, my mics and gear is the least of my worries at this point, now my concern is the speakers as Pahtcub has mentioned. I know not using a speaker for a while in different temps can rot or separate the glue of the suspension ring around the cone. Thanks for the reassurance from everyone. Trust me, this makes me feel better knowing this issue is probably not one at all. As for the speakers, I'll just upgrade if need be :thumbs up:

Haha
Love the softly softly approach.

I can just see Henry stood on the stage legs spread, full on looking down the barrel aiming at a hapless zoned out kid and shouting "move it or lose it sucker."

Haha
Love the softly softly approach.

I can just see Henry stood on the stage legs spread, full on looking down the barrel aiming at a hapless zoned out kid and shouting "move it or lose it sucker."

:D Gotta practice my Clint Eastwood lines.

I know what you're thinking. "Did he have six wedges or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

Back