Pop Protection

jack1953

How effective is the pop protection some mics offer, and is it a good idea to purchase one WITH that protection for live vocals?
Jack

Any mic geared for live use will have some kind of ball or screen on it that's adequate.
Something like a 58 is perfect as is. Just throw it up and let them try to eat it. :)

If you're buying a mic for live vocals I'd just follow the obvious trends. There isn't too much to be gained from being different.
If you wanna go really fancy or you're recording the gig or something, you could use an sm7b or an re20, but the same applies.
They're adequately prepared for vocal pops.

I use the latter two in the studio partly for that reason. Just throw them up and forget about them.

Thanks Steen! I have a brand new SM48 someone gave me and it works great. Since it was a gift and, outside of handling noise, I don't 'hear' much difference between the 48 and 58, and since I use my mic solely in a stand, handling noise is not an issue.
I am in a kind of buy and try mode and bought an AKG D-5 which is great for my voice and needs. I also bought an E835 and an EV ND767a which I found a little on the bright side for me. I have those listed on Ebay for sale and was looking at the following: Audio Technica, Blue Encore, CAD. I'd like to stay around the 100 dollar mark. Any suggestions?
Jack

Any mic geared for live use will have some kind of ball or screen on it that's adequate.
Something like a 58 is perfect as is. Just throw it up and let them try to eat it. :)

If you're buying a mic for live vocals I'd just follow the obvious trends. There isn't too much to be gained from being different.
If you wanna go really fancy or you're recording the gig or something, you could use an sm7b or an re20, but the same applies.
They're adequately prepared for vocal pops.

I use the latter two in the studio partly for that reason. Just throw them up and forget about them.

Thanks Steen! I have a brand new SM48 someone gave me and it works great. Since it was a gift and, outside of handling noise, I don't 'hear' much difference between the 48 and 58, and since I use my mic solely in a stand, handling noise is not an issue.
I am in a kind of buy and try mode and bought an AKG D-5 which is great for my voice and needs. I also bought an E835 and an EV ND767a which I found a little on the bright side for me. I have those listed on Ebay for sale and was looking at the following: Audio Technica, Blue Encore, CAD. I'd like to stay around the 100 dollar mark. Any suggestions?
Jack

PM sent .

Oh, I remember you; No probs.

You're happy with the sm48, but you want something else?
What kind of difference are you hoping to achieve.

If you literally just wana buy and try some mics, then fair enough. :)
Maybe a local studio would let you call in and test out whatever they have?

EV have a stack of mics that are great for voice work. I have 635a,pl9,re11 and re20 which are all great in their own way.

It's out of your price range, but if you're ever on for stepping up the ladder, roadtest an md421/sm7b/re20 and see how you find it. :)

Question. Live vocal mics are dynamic and condensor for recording. Are there any condensor mics used as live vocal mics?
Jack

Oh, I remember you; No probs.

You're happy with the sm48, but you want something else?
What kind of difference are you hoping to achieve.

If you literally just wana buy and try some mics, then fair enough. :)
Maybe a local studio would let you call in and test out whatever they have?

EV have a stack of mics that are great for voice work. I have 635a,pl9,re11 and re20 which are all great in their own way.

It's out of your price range, but if you're ever on for stepping up the ladder, roadtest an md421/sm7b/re20 and see how you find it. :)

Question. Live vocal mics are dynamic and condensor for recording.
Jack

That may be a reasonable beginner guideline, but it's not a hard fast rule.
I use dynamics in the studio about 80% of the time.

There are condensers aimed at live use, but I know less about that.
I think Bobbsy or Moresound might be better clued in.

Thanks guys for the breakdown on condensor vs dynamic. As I said earlier, I really like the warmer sound of the AKG D-5. I see so many with several different mics in their mic stable, problem is, there is no where I can go locally to try them out.

I can tell that the EV ND767a is a great mic, but a little bright for me. Are there any EVs less bright for a hundred dollars?

Back