Pop Filters

Man

Will someone please venture an opinion on:
1. How does the Popless VAC pop screen stack up against the Stedman Proscreen?
2. What works best for you, the gooseneck type or standard mount?

Thanks very much. Dan.

Never heard of thatVAC thing but the Stedman is superior to the nylon mesh screens I've used prior.

Depending on your application and mic placement pop screens with a gooseneck are more practical.

I believe firmly in the mantra: One mic stand, two devices.

Z

I haven't had time to try my VACs yet. The owner refers to them as "compression before your voice reaches the mic": use one or two screens, and place them closer together or farther apart. He clearly sources the high-quality metal gooseneck from some other application and has adapted it for his Popless screens. (This is a good. No need to re-invent the wheel.)

In practice, the ability to place the VAC Popless screens "closer together or farther apart" is quite limited, since the plastic hoops snap into one of three fixed slots that are right next to each other on the holder. In general -- as with any good accessory -- you are paying more for the quality of design than you are for the parts.

That the hoops themselves (and the holder) are lightweight black plastic may make them feel "cheaply made" for the price; however, I really don't want anything substantial or heavy in close proximity to my favorite mics anyway. If someone accidentally bumps a VAC Popless, it may pop out of its mount, but it's not likely to damage the mic (or the screen).

I'll gladly submit a follow-up report once I get a chance to experiment with them. I got the larger generic dual screen version on the gooseneck as well as an all-plastic version designed specifically for use with the E-V RE20 or RE27 in the 309A shockmount. One thing I like about the latter is that the screens stay on the shockmount, so I can still put the RE27 away when not in use without having additional parts lying around.

Purchasing directly from the manufacturer was prompt, courteous and reliable. I believe they are also carried by Broadcast Services Worldwide. Order from whichever doesn't charge tax in your state.

Best wishes,

Mark H.

Mark H., a follow-up on your results would be nice. Are the Popless screens similar to the standard "nylon mesh" screens widely available, or are they a different material altogether?

Thanks for the input, guys. It sounds like the gooseneck is more practical.

I'm the kind of person who falls for those "reviews" on the back of a video jacket or book. When I read the "performers who use" list on Popless' site, I get pretty impressed.

Both are similarly priced. I'll admit I'm leaning toward trying the Stedman first though for simplicity's sake.

I appreciate your help. Sincerely, Dan.

Gooseneck would be the way to go. You can always put this on a seperate stand too if you need it...

I picked up a Stedman Proscreen 101 (includes the gooseneck) a while back, and am amazed how well it works. By looking at it you wouldn't think it would do anything to keep the plosives from passing through it, but damn, it works like a charm! I didn't believe the hype about being able to blow into it, but you really can...and you feel the air being directed downward (before it hits the mic). An amazing solution in my opinion, and much smaller and less obtrusive than standard nylon hoop styles.

Man,

Yup, the VAC uses the standard "panty hose on crochet frame" style of filter. Still too busy to try yet!

Mark H.

Looney or Man,

Can you tell me more about the Stedman, or point me towards more information on the web? How is the sound (the big issue)?

Many thanks,

Mark H.

I use a Stedman w/gooseneck, it works flawlessly. Mix or EQ magazine (I can't remember which one) gave it a glowing review a few months back.

Back