pop filter/wind screen question

cellardweller

Exactly what is the difference between a pop filter and a wind screen?

Is one the foam crap that comes with some mics, while the other is the clip/gooseneck/nylon stocking type stuff I've seen around?

While I'm asking about windscreens/pop filters, is it necessary for me to use one when close-micing a guitar cab with my SPB1? Will my nylon stocking/coat hanger abomination fit the bill, or do I need to drop the $20 and quit being a cheapo? :)

Yes, a windscreen is the foam cover for a microphone and typically protects it from all sides from wind movement but not necessarily "p" sounds in my experience. A pop filter is usually nylon (some are louvered metal) and is designed to stop more hardcore "p" sounds in the recording environment.

You should not need a windscreen or pop filter for your microphone in that application. It wouldn't hurt I suppose.

My first pop filter was panty hose over an embroidery hoop, and other than problems trying to secure it to a mic stand in any kind of useful way, worked fine.

War

I have a foot fettish and enjoy using soiled nylons. They reward my sense of smell, as well as producing superior recordings.

I highly recommend these, and can supply you with all of the soiled nylons that you might require for a nominal fee.

deadhippy said:
I have a foot fettish and enjoy using soiled nylons. They reward my sense of smell, as well as producing superior recordings.

I highly recommend these, and can supply you with all of the soiled nylons that you might require for a nominal fee.
Wow!

I think I'll pass on this one but thanks.

Sage97 said:
Warhead,

Did you think the nylon was more effective than the metal?

No, my experience is with the Stedman filter PS101. The nylon doesn't do quite the job of stopping air blasts and tends to slightly filter out some of the high frequencies. I have never heard a difference in high end with the Stedman, apparently a lot of others are testifying to the same thing.

But the nylon has been used for years and doesn't exactly "ruin" the sound!

DeadHippy... :) I'll take two pair.

War

Back