pop filter problem

postalblue

i'm using a studio projects c3 mic with a sabrassom pop filter, and even though i like the sound i'm getting, i think it sounds better when i do not use the pop filter. i think it's removing too much high end, and it kills the nice sheen i was getting before i started using the filter. it doesn't really sound the same when i boost the high end after the fact, no matter how big or small of a boost it is.
i have already tracked quite a few vocals with this mic, and i didn't experience any sibilance, and only a few plosives caused trouble. so my question is what am i risking here? will i really miss the pop filter or can i get by without it if i watch for the hardest plosives and s's?

adriano

I use the filter that came with the C1, and sing about 8-10" away from it. I can't tell a difference when I take it off or leave it on. Other ears might, though.

Bodhisan

A pop filter is just that: a pop filter. If you're not poppin, then don't filter pops :)

I've found that simply singing more into the base of the microphone, or over the top of it, or slightly off-axis, can make a pop filter completely unnecessary. But if I try to get right up into a mic, I always use a filter. It sort of depends on what you're going for. If you're going for "sheen", then simply not singing directly into the capsule might be just the ticket.

Slackmaster 2000

i'm singing slightly off-axis to the mic in cardioid mode.
sometimes i will sing right into the capsule in softer parts of a song, since i want that illusion of intimacy and some of the proximity effect, so i don't have to boost the lower frequencies to give the voice more body.
what i have tried is... don't laugh... holding the pop filter in one hand, and only putting it between me and the mic during troublesome verses. talk about automation...

adriano

Back