pop filter/10dB pad question, mic placement question

floppsybunny

i am trying to record a pipe organ through a single AT3035 condenser mic (i know a single mic setup isn't ideal but its what i've got)...i had been using a pop filter but the sound is grainy...i'm wondering if i could safely ditch the filter and use the mic's own 10dB pad instead - does that provide any protection at all to the mic? or is it just a sound thing? or do i need to worry about protecting my mic? (the pipe organ gets some pretty impressive lows)...also any tips on mic placement? distance?

i am also going to be recording a grand piano with the same setup, i assume the pop filter is not needed there...

thanks for any input!

floppsybunny said:
i am trying to record a pipe organ through a single AT3035 condenser mic (i know a single mic setup isn't ideal but its what i've got)...i had been using a pop filter but the sound is grainy...i'm wondering if i could safely ditch the filter and use the mic's own 10dB pad instead - does that provide any protection at all to the mic? or is it just a sound thing? or do i need to worry about protecting my mic? (the pipe organ gets some pretty impressive lows)...also any tips on mic placement? distance?

i am also going to be recording a grand piano with the same setup, i assume the pop filter is not needed there...

thanks for any input!

Ummm, unless you are extreme close-micing the pipes, the pop filter ain't gonna do anything except block a very small amount of HF. The pad does not protect the capsule, it's just a few resistors that lower the level of the signal.

I haven't heard too many pipe organs that exceed 148dB in the audience, which is good because you would lose your hearing almost instantly in that case. Since the AT3035 can take that SPL without damage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Use the pad if the signal from the mic clips the preamp, which I also rather doubt with a pipe organ. Even at 110dB and a minimum gain of +10dB on a -10dBV preamp, that's still only -6dBV, which should be well within the headroom of even an extremely crappy preamp.

As for mic position, put it in sanctuary/hall. Walk back from the front of the hall until you hear a good spot, and put it 6' up or so. A pipe organ is such a large instrument that the sound is coming from all over the place, so there probably isn't a bad position, but some will be better than others.

With a single mic it'd be better to use an omni. Be aware that if any of the registers are behind your mic (typical for a trumpet stop, for example), you are going to lose most of that.

Back