(physically) thin acoustic guitars

cordura21

hey guys. I want you opinion on this. I am recording a guy who has this thin guitar that has a particular sound. You hear a lot of "nails" in it, if you know what I mean, the kind of flamenco sound.

Anyways, without getting another more suitable acoustic (ajá, got you on that!), what's a good miking technique for making it more standard sounding and fuller?

Specially the attack of it is very loud, and it cuts too much on the mix, how can I reduce that?

Cheers and TIA, Andrés

Try some fast attacking compression.

That might cure that big attack... As for miking techniques, you definately want to stay somewhat away from this guys fingers..

Maybe a large diaphram condensor. Experiment to see how close you can get to the sound hole without woofing out the mic.

thanks for the suggestions. I always have problems with acoustic guitars and lows, always had to use a hipass or something. I always think I could do much better with wiser mic positioning, but I have to imporve that.

you're right on that, Daniel. But these days I am taking a more natural(?) approach, if you know what I mean.

The other day I read on the net a cool quote: it said that the best eq for electric guitar was a philips screwdriver so you could play with the height of the pickups. That's mic positioning, I guess.

But not using a high pass on my acoustic is a trick I can't do yet.

Back