Phase problems w/ multiple line/mics on guitar amp...

corso

Hey...I will be recording a more complicated guitar set-up than I am used to dealing with, and I am looking for some input.

Three amps, and two direct lines simultaneously....one of the direct lines is split off from the guitar before the pedalboard/amps and the other is taken from the Line Out tap of one of the amps. It should be noted that there is lots of stereo echo and reverb in this rig.

My usual mic setup on a guitar amp is a Royer 121 close, off center of the cone, slightly off axis, and an Oktava MK319 staring right down the center of the cone about a foot back.

I have a feeling this is going to present some issues, but I was hoping you fine gents would be able to help me anticipate/avoid/correct them. Thanks.

If you're recording to computer, just zoom in on the recorded waveforms and manually line them up.

If you are recording to a computer program, I'd try to visually line up the tracks (of the same performance that is) as closely as possible. The direct tracks will be the earliest, the MK319 will probably be the farthest back and need to be nudged to line up with the direct tracks.

Ugh. I knew you were going to say that...but how did the OG's do it before all this "nudging"? You know, you read about RTB putting 23 mics on a Tweed Deluxe or whatever...will the "Factor of 3" thing work, at least on the mics? To wit, if I put the Royer 3" off the grille, and the 319 9" off, will it cut down on the nudging?

You could just use your ears, that's what they did in the old days. Obviously there will still be a timing difference, but you can play with the mic placements until the phase issues are sound subjectively okay.

Back