Phantompower + power!?

perik

Hi!

Im going to use Iriver H120 for field recording.

I know that the Iriver H120 provides with around 3 v power. But what happens if I connect a battery box between the Iriver and a phantompowered mic. Will that then be 3v + 48v = 51v?

Can this harm my mic?

Most of the time (not always) I will use the Denecke AD20 in between the mic and Iriver. Will it be the same thing there? Are there going to be higher voltage if I connect a small phantompower unit in beween the Denecke AD20 and the mic?

thanks for help

Perik

the denecke AD-20 is not a phantom power unit..it is only a preamp and an ADC. the phantom power for the AD-20 is called the ps-2.

youll be fine with the battery box and the iriver...

perik said:
Hi!

I know that the Iriver H120 provides with around 3 v power. But what happens if I connect a battery box between the Iriver and a phantompowered mic. Will that then be 3v + 48v = 51v?

Can this harm my mic?

Most of the time (not always) I will use the Denecke AD20 in between the mic and Iriver. Will it be the same thing there? Are there going to be higher voltage if I connect a small phantompower unit in beween the Denecke AD20 and the mic?

thanks for help

Perik

perik said:
Hi!

No, because it wouldn't be a series connection. At any rate, a phantom power box will be designed not to pass DC on its outputs (using blocking capacitors), which will also block the incoming +3VDC. Therefore the mic will only see +48VDC.

the denecke AD-20 is not a phantom power unit..it is only a preamp and an ADC. the phantom power for the AD-20 is called the ps-2.

I know the AD20 isnt a phantom power unit (I own this piece) and I know that theres a phantompower unit called ps-2 but that´s not my question. My question is:

Since there are coming 3v from the optical/line in on the Iriver H120, what if Im connecting a phantompower unit? will that generate 48v + 3v in power for the mic. Im afraid that will give to much power to the mic with the result of burning it.

/ per

Ok thanks mshilarious for your help!

Actually was thinking a bit of the gear you have for sale. MHI High-impedance adaptor & power supply. Guess its the same with that one. Will not be 3v + 3v (its 3v from that unit isnt it)

My setup will be:

Iriver H120 - Denecke AD20 - MHI adaptor & power supply - Matched Pair MSH-1M

Dont have to worry about these 3v then.

how´s it going with the new high sensitivity mic and the MHI adapter. Are they about to be finished. Pretty sure I will buy them from you as soon as you´re done.

thanks for help

Perik

perik said:
Ok thanks mshilarious for your help!

Actually was thinking a bit of the gear you have for sale. MHI High-impedance adaptor & power supply. Guess its the same with that one. Will not be 3v + 3v (its 3v from that unit isnt it)

If the iRiver already supplies +3V, you won't need another power supply to power a mic that can use plug-in power.

well it´s around 3 v (as I understood it depending on the battery and how newly recharded it is) what will happen with the mic if the power drops to say 2.5 v and what will happen to the mic (the new one youre builiding, the one similliar to MSH-1 but higher sensitivity) if it goes up to 6 or 7 v. Will that afffect the mic in any matter? the sensitivity etc.?

Im using as I said the Denecke AD20 inbetween the mic and recorder. does this unit block the power from the recorder?

when do you estimate to be finished with the high sensitivity mic and the High-impedance adaptor??

perik said:
well it´s around 3 v (as I understood it depending on the battery and how newly recharded it is) what will happen with the mic if the power drops to say 2.5 v and what will happen to the mic (the new one youre builiding, the one similliar to MSH-1 but higher sensitivity) if it goes up to 6 or 7 v. Will that afffect the mic in any matter? the sensitivity etc.?

Not sensitivity, no. To an extent, it will increase SPL handling. If the voltage drops too low, the mic will lose sensitivity, but I haven't measured that.

Im using as I said the Denecke AD20 inbetween the mic and recorder. does this unit block the power from the recorder?

I would imagine it does.

when do you estimate to be finished with the high sensitivity mic and the High-impedance adaptor??

:confused: I don't like to set deadlines for myself :o It depends on orders, if I am real busy I don't have time to work on new stuff. The adaptor is done, I have another product in front of the mic to finish, and I intend to update the site for all three products at the same time. Probably next week.

Back