Phantompower and/or mixers for my condensator microphone

Retosi

Hi everyone,

I have just recently bought a condensator microphone from "Aukey".
It was stronly recommended to also get 48V phantompower with it, so I also ordered such a unit from NEEWER to plug the microphone into.

However, the signal my computer receives is really low. My microphone volume is set to 100% and I still have to give it up to +25 "Boost" in the Windows option to be even remotely hearable, which is why I'm not satisfied.
I am by no means any expert on this, so I've kept on reading about the cause and some people seem to have better results with my particular microphone and a mixer. Now the mentioned mixer has no phantom power but something called "PreAmp" I think.

Can someone give me some insight on this topic if it is better to keep the phantom power or switch to a mixer? Maybe keep both?
I would really appreciate some advice before I start sending stuff back or before another purchase.

Thanks to everyone in advance :)

EDIT:
If there are any questions, feel free to ask. I think I'm not very clear on this, but I'm not sure how to give a better explanation

Hi,
Are you taking the line output of your phantom power supply straight into a computer input?
It sounds that way.

Any kind of 'pro' mic benefits from a good quality preamplifier, and any powered microphone needs a power supply.
The two are totally different things but most mixers, pa amplifiers, or audio interfaces will combine both per-channel.

If you're likely to want to expand and use several microphones at once, this might be a good time to research multi-channel audio interfaces.
If not, you could get a USB microphone or use your existing mic with an analog mixer into your computer, a USB mixer, or a USB interfaces. ( Other data buses are available. :p )

Any mixer or interface would need to have built in phantom power, or would require an external unit like you have now. Most will have it built in.

Any of those chains will have better quality pre-amplification than your computer's sound card.

Hope that's helpful. :)

Hi,
first thank you for the quick response.
Yes, the Output of the phantom power supply connects directly into my computer input right now.
I'm not planning on using several microphones as of now or in the near future. If you would not mind, I could post two Amazon links (one of my current microphone and one for the mixer I'm planning to order).
Hopefully you might be able to tell me if these would work without a "proper" phantom power supply?

I'm sorry, English is not my first language so I'm kinda struggling with the special vocabulary here :D

Condenser Microphone Set so this is the microphone I bought together with this phantom power supplier: Amazon.com: Neewer 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter, BONUS+XLR 3 Pin Microphone Cable for Any Condenser Microphone Music Recording Equipment (8 feet): Musical Instruments

so the performance is really bad in my opinion. The quality of the microphone itself is fine I think but i really need a lot of Boost/Gain from windows to make it remotely hearable. That also results in a lot of noise and it gets too sensitive.

Now a lot of people suggested to get a mixer like this one here: Amazon.com: BEHRINGER XENYX 502: BEHRINGER: Musical Instruments

because it features PreAmp or something.

If I choose to buy the mixer to try it out, would I still need the phantom power supply or can I send it back? Any other advice on what would be wise to make the setup work?

Thanks to everyone for the help so far :)

Hi again,
That Behringer will work. From what I've read it has phantom power, although it's not switchable.
Having said that, it'd be my least favourite solution.

A Focusrite Solo might be tidier?
It also doesn't need its own power supply. Just XLR in and USB out.

It would take your computer sound card out of the equation, which is ideal.

Retosi. Don't do anything yet! Is this: AUKEY Condenser Microphone, Bidirectional Condenser Mic with XLR Female to 3.5mm Male Cable, Volume Control and Tripod Stand for Desktop Computers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments The condenser (aka Capacitor) microphone?
If so you do not need the phantom power supply* the mic comes with an XLR to 3.5mm stereo jack plug cable. You plug that directly into the laptop's mic jack. You might need to do some settings and level adjustments in Windows Sounds but the results SOULD be quite good. I say 'should' because I have read of a lot of these mics being low output, noisy or not working at all. I had something electrically identical (pretty sure) called the BM-800 and that was remarkably good but it seems for THAT amount of money QC is pretty dire!

So, try the mic as I suggested and if ok send the phantom power unit back (actually send it anyway, you don't need it at all) . If perchance you have a 'regular' capacitor yes, you need +48V AND a pre amp and, as MrS has said, all best combined in a mixer but NOT the 502! Cheap? Yes but only one mic input and the phantom power is only 15V on some models. The X802 has two mic channels and +48V and I have had one in my bedroom amping up two mics in the garden and it has not been turned off this four years at least!

However, if you intend the mic for MUSICAL purposes, songs etc you would be far better advised to look at Audio Interfaces. The Alesis i02Express for instance costs little more than a decent small mixer. There are now some good USB mixers but make sure they run 24 bit digital audio.

*That actually looks identical to one I bought a year ago and if so is a decent unit, not all are! Why do they NEVER give the load specc'?
Dave.

"I'm not planning on using several microphones as of now or in the near future" Ah! But what about the FAR future! Ok, cheap shot but! The mixers and interfaces built with only one mic input are made that way for just one reason, to keep costs very low.

Now, there are one or two 'one lunged' devices that are otherwise of high quality but not THESE babies! Internal supply rails are usually lower and the general build quality compromised plus, as I said, the 502 has, AFAIK much lower phantom voltage and whilst it is true that a lot of mics DO work down to 12volts, many don't but they ALL work on 48!

Don't know where you hail from R, but is the phrase 'Ha'poth of tar' familiar to you?

Dave.

Hello and Welcome! I am not a big fan of 1/8 mic inputs. Like it has been mentioned, windows does not have the power to drive the mics. I have had, still use and given away the Alesis FX 4 channel USB mixer. For $99.00 this is what your get.

1. A switchable 48volt phantom power supply.

2. A two channel USB Interface.

3. 4 Inputs, 2 XLR for any dynamic or condenser mics and 4 1/4 inputs for instruments.

4. 1 1/8 inch stereo input jack for CD or Tape players.

5. Headphone jack with volume control knob.

6. 3 band eq.

7. More fxs than you can shake a stick at.

8. Very sweet low noise pre-amps.

9. A guitar switch on channel 2.

The reason I give so many away is when people come over and see it in action, they always want it! It is a great little mixer! I have two as spares.

Retosi. Don't do anything yet! Is this: AUKEY Condenser Microphone, Bidirectional Condenser Mic with XLR Female to 3.5mm Male Cable, Volume Control and Tripod Stand for Desktop Computers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments The condenser (aka Capacitor) microphone?
If so you do not need the phantom power supply* the mic comes with an XLR to 3.5mm stereo jack plug cable. You plug that directly into the laptop's mic jack.

Hey ecc, that is not exactly the one I bought, but it does come with an XLR to 3.5mm jack cable. Gotta get it in there somehow :D

I have tried using my microphone with the phantom power supplier switched off (even though it still ran through it) but it was even more quiet. Even while shouting different names at the microphone at point blank range it had a hard time registering input.

Hello and Welcome! I am not a big fan of 1/8 mic inputs. Like it has been mentioned, windows does not have the power to drive the mics. I have had, still use and given away the Alesis FX 4 channel USB mixer. For $99.00 this is what your get.

1. A switchable 48volt phantom power supply.

2. A two channel USB Interface.

3. 4 Inputs, 2 XLR for any dynamic or condenser mics and 4 1/4 inputs for instruments.

4. 1 1/8 inch stereo input jack for CD or Tape players.

5. Headphone jack with volume control knob.

6. 3 band eq.

7. More fxs than you can shake a stick at.

8. Very sweet low noise pre-amps.

9. A guitar switch on channel 2.

The reason I give so many away is when people come over and see it in action, they always want it! It is a great little mixer! I have two as spares.

I can imagine this being really nice and able to adapt to my needs in the near/far future, but unfortunately it is out of my price range as of now.

Is it possible to supply the microphone with external phantom power AND the Behringer mixer? Might choose the 302 instead of the 502 though.

Sorry, I'm becoming really confused :D

Welcome to the world of a thousand choices! LOL. Is this the 302 you are referring to? If so, it does have its own phantom power supply and you can bypass using your external power supply. Your mic into channel one & done! It has great reviews as well.

That is exactly the one I'm referring to. I've read that it only has 15V though? Can I still work with that and send the external one back? I'm not really satisfied with that supply anyways

That is exactly the one I'm referring to. I've read that it only has 15V though? Can I still work with that and send the external one back? I'm not really satisfied with that supply anyways

You are correct but most condensers will work with that amount, BUT, it is always best to see what the specs for you mic are. I just downloaded the audio by someone using your external power supply. It is way too noisy! I am sure, although not positive, it has to do with running into the mic input for their computer.

View attachment 100420

EDIT: It seems that your mic may need 48 volts according to this. "Note Does not support smartphones. 48V Phantom Power and XLR to XLR Cable must be purchased separately. If this microphone is not recognized by your computer, use the included 3.5mm Headphone/Mic Adapter to connect it (and any headphones) to the headphone jack". Look towards the bottom of the page, left hand side.

Last edited:
Alright I have now ordered the Behringer 302.. It should arrive tomorrow hopefully..
I will keep the phantom power supply for now over the weekend and try different combinations to measure out what helps. Once again thank you everyone for helping me out here!
I will post an update as soon as the package arrives

Alright I have now ordered the Behringer 302.. It should arrive tomorrow hopefully..
I will keep the phantom power supply for now over the weekend and try different combinations to measure out what helps. Once again thank you everyone for helping me out here!
I will post an update as soon as the package arrives

Yes, keep the phantom power unit for now because if the 302 does have low phantom power* you will need it. Note, you will need a male to female XLR cable to go from mic to mixer and another one if you need to insert the phantom power box.

Since the mic did not work directly into the 3.5mm jack (yes! I hate them too Mack but WCYDOOO!) I am a bit worried that you have one of the many bad ones. There could be other reasons for that of course. The PC mic not deliver the usual voltage for mics or there is still some setup issue. As I said, the one I had worked very well and was only a bit less sensitive than my £200 Sontronics LDC.

*Do you own any kind of test meter? Even a $3 jobbie from a car parts shop is easily good enough to test phantom power (FYI, AKA 'Spook Juice'!) . Also, as cash is tight you can save a bit of money by learning to solder simple kits and cables.

Dave.

I do own a test meter. Which voltages exactly do you want me to measure?

I still have a spare male to female XLR flying around, because I accidentally ordered one too many (luckily :P )

Back