Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Phantompower and/or mixers for my condensator microphone

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    [QUOTE=arcaxis;4464040]
    Quote Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
    Well are you plugging it into the mic input (pink) ? Also some motherboards require a jumper or a software setting for the phantom on mic.

also, are you singing into the front of the mic like this:

Properly called 'plug-in power', not phantom.
    Throughout the years, if heard of this power on the audio signal line referred as: P48, phantom power, lapel phantom power (12V), electrect power (5V), and electret phantom..... depending on application. I'll add plug-in-power to this.. (must be computer tech jargon)

Thanks
    Alright, so the Behringer mixer arrived today. Btw yes I was plugging the cord into the pink mic input.

With the mixer now I have zero problems at all. I can cancel out almost all the noise in the background, the volume is everything between too quiet and too loud so I can choose the perfect setting for every distance etc.

It works like a charm in my opinion and I'm really happy.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=drtechno;4464041]
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post

Throughout the years, if heard of this power on the audio signal line referred as: P48, phantom power, lapel phantom power (12V), electrect power (5V), and electret phantom..... depending on application. I'll add plug-in-power to this.. (must be computer tech jargon)
    Computer as well as video on some camcorders and DSLR's.
    These Amazon/eBay 'studio' mics such as what this thread is about, generally have electret capsules which can run on plug-in power, but have electronics that can throttle down 48v phantom to be able to power the mic. I've seen one or two versions of these sold that actually used internal AA batteries for power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plugin-power-jpg  
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I remembered a couple of decades ago, there was some sennheiser Shotgun Mics that could run off of batteries or p48
    They actually were pretty good room mics.
    I've have bought some of those ebay condensers before. They actually not bad once some of the parts in the circuit was changed. But the diaphragm isn't as good as a u47 or a u87(of course). There look/act like the same ones in the $200 mic range. Those $30 mics probably are the $200 mics and they are selling it near cost of manufacturing price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retosi View Post
    Alright, so the Behringer mixer arrived today. Btw yes I was plugging the cord into the pink mic input.

With the mixer now I have zero problems at all. I can cancel out almost all the noise in the background, the volume is everything between too quiet and too loud so I can choose the perfect setting for every distance etc.

GREAT! Make sure your input level is between a -12 and -18dbs for the best noise to signal ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Computer as well as video on some camcorders and DSLR's.
    These Amazon/eBay 'studio' mics such as what this thread is about, generally have electret capsules which can run on plug-in power, but have electronics that can throttle down 48v phantom to be able to power the mic. I've seen one or two versions of these sold that actually used internal AA batteries for power.
    I have 4, AT Pro 70 Lav mics. You can use a double a bat to supply the phantom power or use the mixer/interface or recorders power as well. They will pick up a flea farting at 200 yards.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retosi View Post

So glad! Is that the 502 USB mixer? I suspect the direct to PC connection did not work due to a power delivery problem of a 'gain' issue.
    No matter, if XLR-XLR is working you are almost on a professional footing! The next step might be a better microphone? If recording acoustic instruments, especially guitar is a possibility I would suggest a Small Diaphragm Capacitor. Plenty of good ones around at the $150 level.

Once you are settled and familiar with the rig, perhaps you could post some clips? (attach as high res' MP3 suits me best) I am always interested in the performance of 'budget' kit for the next newb down the line!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Caster View Post
    Your mic sounds better without the external phantom power supply due to the fact that the mic input jack on your computer is looking for a "line in" signal, not a powered signal. Some may disagree with my statement but I have yet to hear of anyone getting a mic to sound good using the pc 1/8 inch input jack. Talking on Skype or doing dictation, they will work just fine. Your new mixer should supply you with the added gain you need to get the job done. The last two laptops I have purchases, do not even have the mic inputs. It is all mostly USB inputs now.
    First Neewer microphones was working with the low voltage power from a computer input, but they didn't work with a standard 48V Phantom power! Newer ones work with standard Phantom power, but they don't work when they are connected to some audio cards giving a too low voltage power.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gianluca68 View Post
    First Neewer microphones was working with the low voltage power from a computer input, but they didn't work with a standard 48V Phantom power! Newer ones work with standard Phantom power, but they don't work when they are connected to some audio cards giving a too low voltage power.
    The Ops set up required 48v Phantom. Depending on the make and model pf the computer, most only supply between 1.5 and 5 volts. I know that some mics will need 12, 24 or 48 volts to make them work as intended.

Thread Information