Phantompower and/or mixers for my condensator microphone

Is your name Joseph by chance?

Ok I don't get that one :P

Btw I've tried to use the microphone without phantom power and just plugged it straight into the pc and it works better than with the supply unit....
Still not good but I think the mixer will do the trick now

Btw I've tried to use the microphone without phantom power and just plugged it straight into the pc and it works better than with the supply unit....

I don't get it either Ret! Hmm? Plugged into the PC's soundcard it should give quite good results. Assuming W7, look at Sound Devices. The mic should be the default External Microphone (exact wording may differ) Then look for 'Advanced' then 'Level' which is normally at 100% if not set it there.

Dave.

I don't get it either Ret! Dave.

Someone has a set up like yours and they are trying to sell it, I just thought it might be you, that's all. If you plan on doing any professional or semi professional recording, you will never get there using your computer mic input jack. Those jacks have a small power supply for the old headsets and desk top mics that draw very little power.

View attachment 100421

Your mic sounds better without the external phantom power supply due to the fact that the mic input jack on your computer is looking for a "line in" signal, not a powered signal. Some may disagree with my statement but I have yet to hear of anyone getting a mic to sound good using the pc 1/8 inch input jack. Talking on Skype or doing dictation, they will work just fine. Your new mixer should supply you with the added gain you need to get the job done. The last two laptops I have purchases, do not even have the mic inputs. It is all mostly USB inputs now.

I don't know what you would class as a good result Mack but attached is some waffle into a BM 800 plugged into the jack on this HP i3 upon which I am typing.

By my lights the sound is not at all bad for a sub 20 quid microphone!

Dave.

Attachments

• BM-800 MP3.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I don't know what you would class as a good result Mack but attached is some waffle into a BM 800 plugged into the jack on this HP i3 upon which I am typing.

By my lights the sound is not at all bad for a sub 20 quid microphone!

Dave.
Sounds good!! You must have gotten one of the 'good' ones.

I don't know what you would class as a good result Mack but attached is some waffle into a BM 800 plugged into the jack on this HP i3 upon which I am typing. By my lights the sound is not at all bad for a sub 20 quid microphone! Dave.

It sounds just fine Dave for a $23.00 mic. When I brought your file up to a -18LUFS from a -27LUFS, the background noise was around a -49.9dbs. The ACX has a max of -60dbs. This would not be a good mic to record Audio Books with.

View attachment 100424

"This would not be a good mic to record Audio Books with. "

Well no! But then you would not record the books with a bast'd noisy computer in the room! The fan whine is at about 280 Hz and some 30dB above baseline noise plus decaying harmonics.

The purpose of the exercise was to show that a good sample of the mic is easily good enough for 'podding' or rock yodelling where the signal would easily be some 20dB higher. I would bet the combination beats a dynamic and many a cheap AI pre amp. I had a £50 USB mic and the BM was on a par (both are now in France!)

I did not check the mic on a high SPL source such as a guitar amp but I suspect with only 5volts or so for the impedance converter it will not be brilliant. The wonder of the mic is that it works as well as it does and the build quality is really amazing for the dosh.

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrum bm800.png
    Spectrum bm800.png
    35 KB · Views: 6

Well are you plugging it into the mic input (pink) ? Also some motherboards require a jumper or a software setting for the phantom on mic.

also, are you singing into the front of the mic like this:

f74b7b76-d05a-41eb-aff7-0b1fdbbcce17._SR970,300_.jpg

Well are you plugging it into the mic input (pink) ? Also some motherboards require a jumper or a software setting for the phantom on mic.

Properly called 'plug-in power', not phantom.

Properly called 'plug-in power', not phantom.

Throughout the years, if heard of this power on the audio signal line referred as: P48, phantom power, lapel phantom power (12V), electrect power (5V), and electret phantom..... depending on application. I'll add plug-in-power to this.. (must be computer tech jargon)

Alright, so the Behringer mixer arrived today. Btw yes I was plugging the cord into the pink mic input.

With the mixer now I have zero problems at all. I can cancel out almost all the noise in the background, the volume is everything between too quiet and too loud so I can choose the perfect setting for every distance etc.

It works like a charm in my opinion and I'm really happy. :)

Throughout the years, if heard of this power on the audio signal line referred as: P48, phantom power, lapel phantom power (12V), electrect power (5V), and electret phantom..... depending on application. I'll add plug-in-power to this.. (must be computer tech jargon)
Computer as well as video on some camcorders and DSLR's.
These Amazon/eBay 'studio' mics such as what this thread is about, generally have electret capsules which can run on plug-in power, but have electronics that can throttle down 48v phantom to be able to power the mic. I've seen one or two versions of these sold that actually used internal AA batteries for power.

Attachments

• plugin-power.jpg
    plugin-power.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 4
I remembered a couple of decades ago, there was some sennheiser Shotgun Mics that could run off of batteries or p48
They actually were pretty good room mics.
I've have bought some of those ebay condensers before. They actually not bad once some of the parts in the circuit was changed. But the diaphragm isn't as good as a u47 or a u87(of course). There look/act like the same ones in the $200 mic range. Those $30 mics probably are the $200 mics and they are selling it near cost of manufacturing price.

Alright, so the Behringer mixer arrived today. Btw yes I was plugging the cord into the pink mic input.

With the mixer now I have zero problems at all. I can cancel out almost all the noise in the background, the volume is everything between too quiet and too loud so I can choose the perfect setting for every distance etc.

GREAT! Make sure your input level is between a -12 and -18dbs for the best noise to signal ratio.

Computer as well as video on some camcorders and DSLR's.
These Amazon/eBay 'studio' mics such as what this thread is about, generally have electret capsules which can run on plug-in power, but have electronics that can throttle down 48v phantom to be able to power the mic. I've seen one or two versions of these sold that actually used internal AA batteries for power.

I have 4, AT Pro 70 Lav mics. You can use a double a bat to supply the phantom power or use the mixer/interface or recorders power as well. They will pick up a flea farting at 200 yards.

So glad! Is that the 502 USB mixer? I suspect the direct to PC connection did not work due to a power delivery problem of a 'gain' issue.
No matter, if XLR-XLR is working you are almost on a professional footing! The next step might be a better microphone? If recording acoustic instruments, especially guitar is a possibility I would suggest a Small Diaphragm Capacitor. Plenty of good ones around at the $150 level.

Once you are settled and familiar with the rig, perhaps you could post some clips? (attach as high res' MP3 suits me best) I am always interested in the performance of 'budget' kit for the next newb down the line!

Dave.

[COLOR="#BF80700"]Your mic sounds better without the external phantom power supply due to the fact that the mic input jack on your computer is looking for a "line in" signal, not a powered signal. Some may disagree with my statement but I have yet to hear of anyone getting a mic to sound good using the pc 1/8 inch input jack. Talking on Skype or doing dictation, they will work just fine. Your new mixer should supply you with the added gain you need to get the job done. The last two laptops I have purchases, do not even have the mic inputs. It is all mostly USB inputs now.[/COLOR]
First Neewer microphones was working with the low voltage power from a computer input, but they didn't work with a standard 48V Phantom power! Newer ones work with standard Phantom power, but they don't work when they are connected to some audio cards giving a too low voltage power.

First Neewer microphones was working with the low voltage power from a computer input, but they didn't work with a standard 48V Phantom power! Newer ones work with standard Phantom power, but they don't work when they are connected to some audio cards giving a too low voltage power.

The Ops set up required 48v Phantom. Depending on the make and model pf the computer, most only supply between 1.5 and 5 volts. I know that some mics will need 12, 24 or 48 volts to make them work as intended.

Back