Phantom supply source?

BlueNorthern

Do you know of a good source for a phantom power supply? I need the stand-alone kind.
Will any 48V unit work okay with the Marshall MXL 2001P? I got one off ebay, and now I need the phantom supply.

Sam Ash has a fine AT for about $50. It'll take a bit to get, 'cause they don't stock them. Most places have to order them special since mixing boards typically have a built-in phantom power source.

Also, keep the bbs up-to-date on your reaction to the 2001. I've handled it in the store, but haven't used it. It is a beautifully built mic, with the heft and feel of something far more costly. I was honestly astonished at how well-crafted the mic turns out to be, that is without taking the obvious - performance - into account. I am anxious to use either a Marshall or 797 entry-level mic.

[This message has been edited by lbzx (edited 03-06-2000).]

Thanks Guys!
I will keep you posted on reaction to using this mic. I plan to put it in service on March 20th at a concert with a national touring bluegrass band. Balls eh? It should be just fine.
I would like to have the phantom power unit for backup. We can't always count on a pro sound system when we play at some of these small concerts.
George www.mp3.com/lostandlonesome

Having maintained something much more than my original "give-me-your-best-price" relationship with Ma Jiulong from 797 in Beijing, I was surprised to find out the Marshall 2001 is NOT made by the Chinese company, which I had been told by many happy owners of that model was the case. The 2003 is made by 797, as well as NT-1's capsule and some other brands known and discussed.

I've only handled (fondled?) the two different 200x series Marshall mics, and the physical character of both was exactly the same to my relatively inexperienced being. The difference I noted on the 2003 when I pulled them both apart was a sturdier frame (for want of a better term)than the 2001.

I have only read a review of the 2001 . . . can't find anyone who has put the 2003 through a serious test.
The physical differences are :
* 1.06 inch diaphram instead of 1"
* 3micron thickness instead of 6microns
* switchable to -10dB or Bass cut

If anyone can find a professional reveiw of the MXL 2003, I like to read it.

Regards,
PAPicker

I wonder if anyone would care to give me a few pointers on the correct use of this kind of microphone. I have used the single mic setup on stage before, but someone else has always handled this stuff. I am really a rookie at this and would appreciate any advice. For instance... switch 10db, or bass cut??? I know not what dis mean.
Thanks,
George www.mp3.com/lostandlonesome

The only source of information I have is Ma Jiulong, the CE of 797.

[This message has been edited by lbzx (edited 03-18-2000).]

Yes it was a question. I simply wanted to know the source of your info...

Realize I was the one who brought the 797 Audio issue over from the rec.audio.pro newsgroup to the homerecording.com BBS with me in full support of 797 Audio.

Thanks for clearing that up, RE. I haven't found anything to suggest a manipulative or cagey style in dealing with Ma Jiulong. Quite the contrary, he's flexible and open. And the more I learn about their products, the more confident I have become.

[This message has been edited by lbzx (edited 03-10-2000).]

It was my previous intention to purchase a 797 mic from China. Recording Engineer properly guided me away from that decision because of the (as yet) unproven track record of these microphones. They are probably excellent, however for someone like myself who must rathole pocket change to purchase anything of this nature, it was better for me to go for the MXL-2001-P.

I bought it from an e-bay auctioneer in Buffalo for $169.00 including the shock mount. This was an excellent buy. I found a phantom power adapter at a local music store for a mere $50. When I hooked the whole thing up to a simple PA system it worked wonderfully. The warmth and clarity of this microphone is very evident, as compared to say... a few SM58's.

I used it the other night in a small club setting. The simplicity of using a single mic for performance is very nice. This microphone is perfect for my purpose.

Thanks again, Recording Engineer, for your excellent advice. Best of luck with the 797's. I have a feeling that the whole ground-breaking thing will ultimately benefit all of us!
www.mp3.com/lostandlonesome

Back