Phantom Power Help Please

iineviitable

I recently purchased an AT2020 Condenser microphone from Audio Technica.
I ordered the USB version but i was sent the XLR version that requires phantom power.

I was wandering if i should get a refund and purchase the USB or just buy a phantom power supply and if so which one.
I dropped a decent amount of money on this mic so i would prefer a power supply under 30$ (USD)

Any help is appreciated.

The XLR version will require a preamp with phantom power, as well as an interface. Or an interface with a preamp and phantom power. You likely need to return it if your budget is under $80 or so. What are your plans with the mic?

I was hired for some voice acting and the studio is on the west coast while i live on the east, so i can't fly out.
And they recommended this mic (USB) to keep it simple.

Are you sure there are no power supplies that would be cheaper?

I have to start recording soon.

I was hired for some voice acting and the studio is on the west coast while i live on the east, so i can't fly out.
And they recommended this mic (USB) to keep it simple.

Are you sure there are no power supplies that would be cheaper

I don't think you understand.

With the mic you have in your hand, you need phantom power PLUS a preamp PLUS an audio interface. All 3 together, not negotiable.

These three elements will often be available within a single piece of equipment, or separately. There are heaps of options.

But not under $30.

In your situation, I would just return the mic and get the USB version.

Naw, a phantom power supply is just part of what you need. There are some inline USB converters, but I have never heard of them being very good. Here is one that might fit you budget, if you are on a time limitation. I would not consider it the best option tho. I cant think of anything under $80 that will get you there with better quality. I would just return the mic, or increase your budget.

Oh no i understand what your saying but i just found this:
Nady SMPS-USB Phantom Power Supply and USB Audio Interface (can't post links yet)
On the guitar center website.

I'm not entirely sure if it would work, but that price works for me.
And by 30 i meant cheaper than the 300$+ people have been linking me to.

I appreciate you helping by the way.

Honestly, if you were sent the wrong thing just arrange for a replacement.

These guys aren't pulling your leg. A usb condenser mic contains an (essential) microphone amplifier, power source, analog to digital converter, and data interface.
You need to buy all these things, or an all in one box like an maudio fast track or something.

Edit:
Oops. Posted at the same time as you.
That nady is the kind of thing you need. No idea if it's good or bad, I didn't even know they made interfaces tbh.

Yes, all decent options, maybe. But the point is, the AT2020 USB version, was at least designed to work with the preamp/phantom/and AD conversion, to optimize it's own performance. I would highly doubt that using another brand of interface at this price point, will give better results than the one designed for the mic.

So you're saying rather than buying something like the Nady SMPS-USB you think I should return this mic and get the usb version.
Will the quality be the same?

The USB mic rule of thumb is always about expansion.

If you're gradually gonna build up a studio and record instruments etc, forget the USB mic all together.

If what you need is a humble setup for straight up voice work or vocals karaoke style, then yeah, just send the XLR mic back and get what you paid for.
That's just my take.

Wait....What have we done here??????

Just kidding. Best of luck iineviitable.

LOL! Yeah, it is just what is needed for any particular situation. I had a hard time getting my kids tricycles, because I knew damn well, they would really need bigwheels soon. Then stuff with motors. Oh lord, then cars....Good lord, do not ever buy your kid recording gear! Ah s**t, I already screwed up there too!

I give up... lol!

Use what serves you for now iin. Just be aware that it may be a wasted purchase, if you plan to upgrade in the future.

Best to you man. :)

Yes, all decent options, maybe. But the point is, the AT2020 USB version, was at least designed to work with the preamp/phantom/and AD conversion, to optimize it's own performance. I would highly doubt that using another brand of interface at this price point, will give better results than the one designed for the mic.

Yes to this ^^^^

If it turns out that you are going to do more voice work, then you might want to consider some higher quality microphone and interface options.

For the job at hand, and given that you have some time constraints, I think your best course of action is to exchange the mic for what you ordered.

What has this world come to that we suggest USB microphones over the real ones. :facepalm:

Being serious for a moment (and I will endure the pain :p ), I do think that this was the practical solution, considering the OPs particular circumstances.

Of course, I am perfectly aware of the limitations and caveats around usb microphones.

However, I think it could be helpful to be able to confidently recommend a decent quality mic plus a superior single channel usb interface (the recently discussed Centrance MicPort Pro comes immediately to mind). This could form the backbone of a compact, portable and high performance recording kit as a viable option for those with single mic recording needs - for example, spoken voice talent.

I get that we are mostly all gear-heads. But I think that we need to recognize the breadth and scope of recording needs of folk who sign up here, and be open to recommending solutions which may not suit our own needs or inclinations, but be perfect for someone else.

Thoughts?

Being serious for a moment (and I will endure the pain :p ), I do think that this was the practical solution, considering the OPs particular circumstances.

Of course, I am perfectly aware of the limitations and caveats around usb microphones.

However, I think it could be helpful to be able to confidently recommend a decent quality mic plus a superior single channel usb interface (the recently discussed Centrance MicPort Pro comes immediately to mind). This could form the backbone of a compact, portable and high performance recording kit as a viable option for those with single mic recording needs - for example, spoken voice talent.

I get that we are mostly all gear-heads. But I think that we need to recognize the breadth and scope of recording needs of folk who sign up here, and be open to recommending solutions which may not suit our own needs or inclinations, but be perfect for someone else.

Thoughts?

It's not really the same thing as you're saying, but I've often thought about buying a few of the cheaper USB mics to see what I can get out of them.

It'd be nice to say here's a link and this is what you can expect to get out of your usb microphone.

I mean, the other day I did a quick cover version and couldn't be arsed going inside for a proper mic, so I used on old cheapo akg stage dynamic with no grill. Afterwards I kinda wondered what I'd been spending all my money on.lol.
Ok, it didn't shine, but it was fine.
I'd bet anyone with reputation here could record their vocals with a usb mic, mix it in, and no one would know any different.

Alright, you're not gona mic a kit with one, but the number or 'rappers' knocking about here really makes me think USB mics could be more than adequate sometimes.

All true guys. USB microphones do have their time and place anywhere within the recording spectrum. Hopefully they will get better with time.
Heck I've even toyed with the idea of getting a Yeti for the very reason that Paul just stated.

Back