pfft. condensers. :rolleyes:

elbandito

potential lunch winner
i think i'm done with condenser mics for a while. with the exception of a very few mics that i've tried, the differences between most LDCs in the same price range are seemingly negligible and differences in SDCs are only slightly more obvious, to my ears. DYNAMICS, on the other hand are freakin' great and I'm really loving them. With just a change in impedance, a dynamic mic can sound dramatically different than its identical brother. I think I'm gonna box up all of my condensers for a while and just rock dynamics for everything... make all of my recordings sound like they came off a 45 or something. heh. Also, I need a ribbon mic just because.

that is all. :listeningmusic:

Dynamics are wonderful.
Some mics come with variable impedance. I would recommend leaving the mic impedance as closely matched as possible to whatever it is plugged into.
However, nothing I've recorded with a dynamic mic sounded like it was from a 45. I'm assuming you mean 45 rpm and not .45 ACP. Although, one of these days I might get a dynamic mic down to the firing range and then the recording might sound like a .45

Whatever floats your boat! If your dynamics give you the sound you want, then they are the right tools for the job.

i think i'm done with condenser mics for a while. with the exception of a very few mics that i've tried, the differences between most LDCs in the same price range are seemingly negligible and differences in SDCs are only slightly more obvious, to my ears. DYNAMICS, on the other hand are freakin' great and I'm really loving them. With just a change in impedance, a dynamic mic can sound dramatically different than its identical brother. I think I'm gonna box up all of my condensers for a while and just rock dynamics for everything... make all of my recordings sound like they came off a 45 or something. heh. Also, I need a ribbon mic just because.

I discovered the same thing a while back. Dynamics are very cool, and most low end condensers sound very similar to each other.

I'm using mostly dynamics these days.

The reason is fairly obvious of course.

You can get all kinds of great dynamic mics for a steal. Used AKG, Shure', EV, ATM dynamics go in the $20 to $40 pricerange (with a little brains and effort of course). Eat just spinach and fish fingers for a week and you've saved up for a new mic.

Even the most expensive dynamics (MD441, RE20, SM7 etc.) aren't exactly cheap, but still reasenably affordable for your avarage home recordist.

The price of a top end dynamic is the same as a cheapish to avarage condenser, most of us here simply can't afford a really good condenser. It make's sense you prefer to use a good dynamic in stead of a mediocre condenser.

Yeah, I kinda agree...for now. I switched to an SM7B for vocals and love it, and i've switched to fathead ribbons for most overheads and love them. Then 57s and kick mics. So yeah, I hadn't really thought about it but I haven't used and LDC in a while.

If I can get a hold of some nice condensers I'll give them a try, but it is true the best dynamics are the same price as mid/low condensers.

About six months ago i went through a similar stage of hating condensers with a passion after doing a lot of sessions where every LDC i put my hands on sounded overly bright and harsh, and after much research and checking realised that ribbon mics seemed to be the way to go. as it was my first venture in to the world of ribbons i wanted to play it safe and not waste my money in case it wasn't what i was looking for an went for an Apex 205. Did it change me life? no. Did it help in those sessions where an LDC wasn't working? yes. it was another wake up call to remind me that there really is a time and a place for all different types of mic's. i had managed to get stagnated in my ways and had fallen into that rookie trap of thinking "x mic worked last time, it should work this time". I would love some more ribbon mics now but have also picked up some more LDC's since and am more than happy with them

Back