Peter Gabriel

JDS123

I saw some thread that had ppl claiming he used a 47, then talking about 57s and such. If Im correct, these are by shure?

Now, is that what they believe he used in the studio for recording?

Can you record good vocals with dynamics like that at home on a budget without tons of hiss?

Anyways, Peter is my all time fav and his intimate vocals on songs like father son, or darkness.

I saw some thread that had ppl claiming he used a 47, then talking about 57s and such. If Im correct, these are by shure?

Now, is that what they believe he used in the studio for recording?

Can you record good vocals with dynamics like that at home on a budget without tons of hiss?

Anyways, Peter is my all time fav and his intimate vocals on songs like father son, or darkness.

AIs have come on in leaps for low noise mic pres in the last 3 years or so. The £100 Steinberg U22 has, according to all the reports I have read, very quiet pres and with a decent level of gain (around 60dB)

My NI KA6 and F'rite 8i6 are about comparable, flat out with an SM57 excellent results on acoustic guitar at about a foot (and not a particularly loud guitar at that, a small Turner)

All the Focusrite AI have good pre amps and peeps like Audient& Presonus make some exceptional ones. Shoot! Even the $100 Alesis Express I had gave a good account of itself with an SM57!

Maybe if you wanted to record speech on an SM7b you would struggle but your main problem would be finding a quiet enough space IMHO!

Ooops! You said "budget"! Yes, if that figure is about $300 for mic and AI. Whaaah! lookyou Sweetwater! You can get UR22 and a 58 for under $250! Leaves enough I think for some AKG K92 cans
Dave.

The U47, certainly, could have been possible early on.

Wonder if the Sony MIC was around ?
32fad9ebb4542a1e30f3ab267b1c0103--peter-gabriel-progressive-rock.jpg

The SM57 is a fricking workhorse durable awesome microphone that you can get fantastic results from...Jimi plays Berkley live he is singing through a sm57...there are a shit load of examples out there....Tons of tunes you have grown up listening to used one... Here's a link to a Sax forum thread that goes into discussion of it and it's brother the SM58 both great ...I like the 57's myself cause that's what I have been using for 40 years...

A dude on YouTube who's got some high quality videos was comparing a couple mics, one was the sm7b. He was saying you will hav the hiss sound unless you had some big dog preamps or something like in real studios. I will try to link the video.

A dude on YouTube who's got some high quality videos was comparing a couple mics, one was the sm7b. He was saying you will hav the hiss sound unless you had some big dog preamps or something like in real studios. I will try to link the video.

A SM7b is not the same mic as a SM57, SM7b's do have a low level and you do need a good preamp, however that is a great vocal combination, an SM57 is a reasonably loud mic and is reasonably quiet.

Alan.

A SM7b is not the same mic as a SM57, SM7b's do have a low level and you do need a good preamp, however that is a great vocal combination, an SM57 is a reasonably loud mic and is reasonably quiet.

Alan.

Ok thanks. Since I sing more like peter Gabriel's mellow more intimate stuff I'm wondering what I would like better then the nt1000 or something like a sm57

Funny, I am replying to 2 threads at the moment about the NT1000 and you are involved in both.

Alan.

Funny, I am replying to 2 threads at the moment about the NT1000 and you are involved in both.

Alan.

Well, yeah lol. Figured a specific title for the thread such as Peter Gabriel would get the specific ppl in here I wanted. Since many pry don't even know who he is.

The other thread was a more direct hit to the nt1000. This thread however rolled back into it.

If you want real funny.....I made a thread to help me pic a mic for deeper vocals, for ppl with a broader range of experience, and guess what, it lead into the nt1000 lol. That's the thread that actually introduced it to me.

This has inspired me.

I have decided in lieu of approaching the great witzendoz repeatedly on this forum, I will make it even more fun and charming by writing you direct, in calligraphy, all of my remaining questions about the Rode NT1000. Expect one letter per week. Kindly provide your address Mr. Witzendoz lol.

Hey thanks for the help though. Sorry to have you chasing threads. Hopefully it puts you at ease knowing it's very appreciated.

Hay I was not picking on you, I just thought it was funny how the NT1000 was appearing in multiple threads this week, you were not alone.

Alan.

Hay I was not picking on you, I just thought it was funny how the NT1000 was appearing in multiple threads this week, you were not alone.

Alan.

I figured. I'm just playin around anyways. Yet still thanks for your tips.

---------- Update ----------

"Since many pry don't even know who he is".

Didn't he play flute on Stagnation ?

Lol. Yeah he's done a couple things since lol.

As far as hiss on the sm7b, the hiss doesn't come from the Mic, it comes from cheap preamp.

There are people that use 57s for recording. I would assume that the 47 that was mentioned would have been a Neumann u-47, which is a very expensive condenser.

As was told to me by a Brit gal, they played the local theatres early on - so why not. Besides that, he was just the singer and needed a creative part, as the writing individuals often think three is a crowd. hahah

About all I knew was from a 1973 oddball release;
4223096082_44cdd646bb_z.jpg

My second copy in real good shape -much better than my original : )

Recorded at The De Montfort Hall, Leicester and The Free Trade Hall, Manchester - Feb. 1973.
S1;
Watcher of the Skies
Get 'em Out by Friday
The return of the Giant Hogweed
S2;
Musical Box
The Knife

Back